Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Robin: Naive and Nostalgic

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Robin: Naive and Nostalgic

by Jenise » Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:45 pm

Those two restaurants were featured on last night's The Whole Story on CNN, a particularly excellent episode in which Bobby Flay talks to restauranteurs around the country about how things in the restaurant industry have changed because of Covid. These two in Louisville made me quite jealous. (Well, really, all of them did. I live in restaurant Siberia.)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Robin: Naive and Nostalgic

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:40 am

Huh. Who knew!? Bobby Flay likes Louisville because he loves to come to the Kentucky Derby and be a celeb. :lol: Those are good restaurants, but I’m not sure I’d single them out.

Here’s an article I wrote about Naive recently. I liked it.
https://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/naive-scores-high
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Robin: Naive and Nostalgic

by Jenise » Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:24 pm

Good review. Not that I've been there, but I mean stylistically. Liked it.

Bobby started this program talking about the fact that 70,000 restaurants have closed since the start of the pandemic. He himself closed Gato, his high end Manhattan eatery, almost immediately because he "didn't know what was going to happen". But others stuck with it, or pivoted, some with success and some not so much. Like Esther Choi (I think her name is) who does Korean in NYC.
She stopped in-house service and started a to-go thing. That was just to survive, but she now produces 15,000 meals a week for to-go and delivery service and that's the heartbeat of her growing empire. He talks with the guy who started Pizza Bianco, mostly of Phoenix Arizona but also now in Los Angeles, about how they survived. Ditto a restaurant called Kachka in Portland (they started a vodka business). He talks to the CEO of Door Dash about how that's evolved. Cat whatever-her-last-name-is of Louisville was singled out for 1) starting her restaurant at a very poor time considering what was about to happen, and a vegetable-forward restaurant in Butchertown on top of that, and 2) being a total neophyte. She had no idea how to run a business (and by her own admission is still learning), but she stuck with it and her little tent kitchen is now a popular restaurant and she has opened a second location. She accomplished what naysayers thought couldn't be done.

Anyway, it was a very interesting show.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov