Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Annoying Food Term Abuse

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Annoying Food Term Abuse

by Bill Spohn » Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:57 am

This may not be an American affectation but that's the only sort of show where I have seen it used. The British shows see to know better.

The term is 'au jus' which means served with broth or gravy (but technically a gravy is thickened with starch so isn't properly au jus). In other words served with the juices that come from the meat during cooking. The classic bistro dish is French dip which is a sandwich of shaved cooked beef served with a side cup of beef juices to dip it in.

The abuse is that I have heard many people say that they are going to serve something with 'au jus' which to anyone familiar with French or culinary terms sounds like they are stuttering - "with with jus"
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: Annoying Food Term Abuse

by Paul Winalski » Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:10 am

Yes, "with au jus" is a classic from the Department of Redundancies Department.

One food term that I find often abused in restaurants is "homemade". Usually what they mean is ":made here at the restaurant". Not "made at home". There are rare exceptions. There is/was an excellent Greek restaurant in Naples, Florida that served a moussaka to die for every Wednesday. This was made by the owner's grandmother in her home kitchen and then taken to the restaurant to be served. Now that really is homemade.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:37 pm

I remember a diner in Upstate New York where the servers often inquired whether you would like some "aw juice" with your entree.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:52 pm

I've only seen Au Jus on menus when in the USA, and found out later that it is meat juices unthickened.

Here in UK its usual for gravy to accompany meat, and it's usually thickened with a commercial thickener which also contains dried meat juices, onions, herbs & etc. The big brand is Bisto, (slogan Aaah Bisto! ) my family have all complained when I've served gravy too thin. They like it thick.

You can also make gravy with Bisto without your own meat juices just by adding hot water

https://www.bisto.co.uk/
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:07 am

Bill Spohn wrote:The abuse is that I have heard many people say that they are going to serve something with 'au jus' which to anyone familiar with French or culinary terms sounds like they are stuttering - "with with jus"

Yes, I have heard it often. I just quietly cringe and go on with the meal.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:56 pm

On Sunday, we ate in a French restaurant on Whidbey Island. I ordered 'manilla clams with chorizo', in which the chorizo and accompanying broth was hotter than blazes. When I complained to the waitress, she said "oh but chorizo is supposed to be hot" like I should have expected it. No it's not, I informed her, 'chorizo' is merely the Spanish word for sausage which in fact is typically mild, and I personally have a very high tolerance for hot food--I love heat. So if I was complaining, the average customer with only an average tolerance would have been unable to eat it. I barely could. My point to her was that the menu should warn that it's spicy, and she had a responsibility to point out to customers that it's VERY VERY spicy. I ate it anyway, and suffered greatly later because of it. I've never had pure stomach pain as a result of hot food, but I did that night.

And that's abuse, when you make a food because its trendy, go over certain reasonable lines, and don't train your staff on how to sell it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:27 pm

And you'd hardly expect blazing hot food at a French restaurant, would you?

Lull Farm in Hollis NH employs several Jamaicans. On weekends during the summer they cook up and serve excellent jerk chicken. Lull also sells jars of Jamaican-style hot pickled vegetables. The vegetables are julienned and mixed with vinegar and spices. There's a hefty dose of scotch bonnet chiles in there, too. I ate it all, including the spices (including black peppercorns) the first time I tried it. Half an hour later my stomach was in agony. Water with a good dose of bicarbonate of soda helped a lot.

-Paul W.