Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Hatch Chile freezer life

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

Hatch Chile freezer life

by John F » Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:30 am

I have a couple of packages of hatch green chiles in the freezer. These are the kind that arrived already roasted and in pretty secure looking plastic packaging. They’ve been in there at least a year… maybe two. Any thoughts? Playing with fire or go ahead?

Thanks in advance
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: Hatch Chile freezer life

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:31 am

We roasted our own Hatch Chiles, the last batch over 3 years ago. I double-bag them in small freezer bags, then put three of those into the larger bags. I just opened my last bag last week to make scrambled eggs. I am still alive with no symptoms. I keep my freezers at zero degrees.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:42 pm

I would think they have kept OK. They might be a bit mushy in texture compared to fresh. Be sure to use them right away after you defrost them--they won't last even overnight without going mushy.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:40 am

John, they're probably fine.

I roast my own. I remove the stems (trying to pull out the seed pods as I do that) and put three-four in a tiny sandwich baggy because that's a suitable serving for two grilled cheese sandwiches or two green chili burgers, then roll them up and put 15-20 little baggies in one big Ziploc bag which goes into the freezer. I remove as needed. The chiles that went into our burgers Saturday night have been in the freezer one or two years--not sure and the point is, it makes no difference to me.

I'll replenish my supply next summer and toss whatever's left at that point just because I'd rather start over, but not because what's left at that point are hazardous.

If yours look and taste fine then I'm sure they are fine.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov