Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Tajin Classic Low Sodium seasoning

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Tajin Classic Low Sodium seasoning

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:38 am

I have had this in my cupboard for a long time and somehow it got moved back where I could not see it. Just started using it again and I love it on watermelon, and all the varieties of melons I have tried this summer. Yummy on hard-boiled eggs, any cooked egg dishes, corn on the cob, and more. Does anyone else like this chile lime seasoning?
Trader Joe's has a Chile Lime Seasoning which I like also, it is made with dried chilies, while Tijan is made with chile peppers, and also has lime zest.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Tajin Classic Low Sodium seasoning

by Jenise » Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:18 pm

I've not seen that product, Karen. Hmmm!

Speaking of low sodium, does anyone know if there's such a thing as an okayish unflavored salt substitute?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Sep 10, 2023 3:58 am

In the past, I've used potassium chloride. It's available in grocery stores as Nu-salt or Salt Substitute or Lite Salt.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:27 am

Dare I say it MSG
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:30 pm

Be careful with potassium chloride. It doesn't taste quite the same as sodium chloride and some people find it has a bitter or metallic aftertaste. Potassium ion is involved in the function of cell membranes, especially in nerve and heart tissue. Sudden increases in blood plasma concentrations of potassium can trigger heart arrhythmias.

MSG won't help here. The "S" in MSG stands for "Sodium". Per molecule, MSG has the same amount of sodium as salt (i. e. one sodium ion).

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:31 am

Thanks Paul, I was under the impression there was less sodium. It might come into play if you need a lot less msg than salt?
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:51 am

True--if you end up using less MSG than you were using salt, your sodium intake from that source will be reduced. The other issue that I see with using MSG as a salt substitute is that to my palate MSG isn't particularly salty. It's all about umami. There are places where salt is used but added umami would be unwelcome.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:00 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:True--if you end up using less MSG than you were using salt, your sodium intake from that source will be reduced.
-Paul W.

Then just use less salt, period. Or don't salt during cooking and just use a few Maldon flakes to finish. All that I get, and I'm trying to cut back. I have tasted various salt substitutes over the years and hated them. I was asking now because I do want to cut back even further and hoped some better alternatives had been invented.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov