Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Measurements

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Measurements

by Bill Spohn » Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:34 pm

We get to constantly convert from metric to non-metric measurements or vice versa which is a pain. If we all used these it would be much easier!

no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Measurements

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:30 pm

I like those!
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:33 am

Reminds me of Rachael Ray who used to use those cooking terms, drove me nuts. Anymore, except for baking, I just use my eyes as my guide for small measurements like that. I'm at the point in cooking where I delete unneeded steps and use fewer pots and pans.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:02 am

My undergrad degree is in Biology and I still tend to cook like a chemist. I'm most comfortable with recipes that give precise and explicit directions and quantities.

Regarding using fewer pots and pans, I first learned Chinese cooking from cookbooks. They all said to do a thorough mis en place when preparing for a stir-fry. And they're right. But somehow that always meant dirtying almost every bowl and measuring device in the kitchen. Then I took a Chinese cooking class. One of the first things the instructor told us was to measure the capacity of the spatula and ladle being used in the stir-fry, and to use those utensils to measure out ingredients. This can tremendously reduce the number of containers and measuring devices needed. I've noticed that professional Chinese cooks use these two utensils almost exclusively for measuring ingredients.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:13 pm

I actually have that set. It was given to me by a friend who appreciated that I never measured anything.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov