Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RIP Michael Chiarello

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RIP Michael Chiarello

by Jenise » Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:49 pm

He was one of TV chefs I liked the most--his show made sense--and I loved dining at Tre Vigne. Age 61.

Died in hospital of an anaphylactic reaction to a food allergy. It wasn't said what particular food he had but did anyone read or hear about this and not think: was it mushrooms?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

DanS

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:10 pm

Re: RIP Michael Chiarello

by DanS » Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:17 am

Wow! This is very sad. I too liked eating at Tra Vigne.

After reading a bunch of articles on the web, he was being treated for an acute allergic reaction for about week. There was no indication in these articles as to a specific allergen.

RIP
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:44 pm

You're right, Dan, they didn't even mention that it was food related. I errantly assumed that.

Scary though that someone can have a sudden allergy to something that drastic. I mean, I'm familiar to some extent as I have had anaphylactic reactions to porcini mushrooms (3 times now, the last being an occasion in Basque country in which the mushroom I ate went by another name for 'porcini' which I did not recognize), and it was a single bite so I hesitate to think what eating a whole one would do to me, but with that problem and also as someone with asthma this kind of thing hits close to home. Poor guy.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

by John F » Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:14 pm

Holy smokes…. I like his style and tv persona.

And I just turned 62 and keep thinking about retiring because “you just never know”…..
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:40 pm

He had an easy elegance to him, didn't he? No BAM's, no gimicks, just casual but serious food from quality ingredients and with a little Napa pizzazz. The lack of shows like his is why I haven't turned on the Food Network in years.