Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What we used to eat (fancy)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

What we used to eat (fancy)

by Jenise » Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:54 pm

1907 menu from the Waldorf-Astoria in NYC. Pretty fun to look at. Check out the duck options, among other things:

waldorfastoriamenu.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: What we used to eat (fancy)

by Rahsaan » Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:12 pm

Always fun to look at stuff like this. Because of course our present day menus/fare, which seem so "normal" to us, will probably look equally comical and interesting to future readers 100+ years later.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:14 pm

I find many contemporary menus comical already!
Interesting, I wonder if the difference in duck prices is solely size (teals are very small, canvasbacks large) or if they saw a taste premium?
I wondered what Montebello meant in terms of sweetbreads prep, and found a recipe (from Waldorf cookbook!)
Sweetbreads, Montebello
Prepare some sweetbreads the same as sweetbreads Waldorf; take them from under the weight and trim them into ovals; cover them all with a preparation made of other sweetbreads minced into very small dice with mushrooms of the same size mingled with cream sauce, salt and pepper. Form this over the ovals in a dome-shape and cover with chicken forcemeat, containing very finely shredded red beef tongue. Dress the ovals on a dish covered with Montebello sauce, made by mixing tomato and Bearnaise sauce together.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:30 pm

Rahsaan, exactly right! And Dale, cool that you looked that up. But it sounds rather awful to me!

Did anyone notice the "Railbird" there among the ducks? I looked it up and could not find any entry other than that of a human fan of live horse racing. Anyone know what that might be?

I also laughed at "Canadian cheese" nestled there among all the formal cheese names like Stilton. Wonder what that would have been?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:17 am

Another one that made me laugh: Bermuda potatoes. The involuntary picture-generator in my brain suddenly showed a potato wearing little shorts in a beach scene.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:29 pm

The prices are also amusing/bemusing. $4.50 for roast duck! Highway robbery! :D

I looked up Jenny Lind soup. Jenny Lind was a popular 19th century singer who allegedly ate this soup to help preserve her voice. It was very popular in the 19th century and appears in Isabella Beeton's famous cookbook. It is a cream soup of rudabaga and cheese in chicken stock, thickened by cream and a white roux.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:40 pm

Jenise wrote:Did anyone notice the "Railbird" there among the ducks? I looked it up and could not find any entry other than that of a human fan of live horse racing. Anyone know what that might be?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rail_(bird)

I also laughed at "Canadian cheese" nestled there among all the formal cheese names like Stilton. Wonder what that would have been?

That one is impossible to search for.

Bermuda potatoes are a cultivar. Relatively resistant to disease and a fair choice for french fries as it crisps well.

Barbe de Capucin is chicory.

Sweetbreads Montebello sounds awful... and very typically Victorian. In that era, it was not possible to overdo.

Reading about the ducks, there might be some taste premium going on: canvasbacks are said to be the best eating of all species of duck and even in 1904 they were harder to come by (due to over-hunting). I also read that teal ducks are small, nicely fatty but very mild in flavor. So, if Americans had more of a palate for gamy game birds that would put downward pressure on teal prices.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:26 am

It's a December menu and has Mince Pie among the desserts :D

But no steaks.
Or Vegan, vegetarian, Gluten Free options :roll:
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:09 am

Dale - you are making me hungry! To long since I have made sweetbreads!
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Oct 25, 2023 1:47 pm

I love sweetbreads, and mushrooms and cream sauce sounds pretty good, but then the dome of chicken and tongue lost me (I'm find with tongue, just not covering sweetbreads)
But I think next time we're serving a Ridge MB I might make a Monte Bello sauce now that I know what it is!
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:53 am

My mom used to make creamed tuna on toast. She was raising me on her own and at times money was tight especially when I discovered skating and started lessons and needed costumes for shows our club put on.
cream tuna suddenly became dinner over and over. I hated it and got so mad at her one time and told her I'd get a job to help out. I did and the creamed tuna on toast became a thing of the past. I hated babysitting almost as much!