Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Help! Steam Oven?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Help! Steam Oven?

by Bill Spohn » Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:59 pm

I have in hand a recipe I very much wish to try. The problem is that it calls for cooking in a steam oven at 95 C./200 F. for a certain time.

The problem - I have had zero experience with steam ovens and no idea if a recipe intended for them can be done in a regular oven, or what temperature/time would be an equivalent.

I found an equivalency formula for relating convection oven recipes to regular oven (Multiply the cook time by 1.15, Multiply the heat by 1.15) and wondered if such a formula exist for steam to conventional.....
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Help! Steam Oven?

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:16 pm

On a quick look around... the best advice is that you can make a regular oven act like a steam oven by placing a reservoir of water on the floor of the oven and let it get hot enough to boil.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:02 am

Jeff Grossman wrote:On a quick look around... the best advice is that you can make a regular oven act like a steam oven by placing a reservoir of water on the floor of the oven and let it get hot enough to boil.

That's a standard technique for baguettes and other Euro-style breads, as I expect you know, Jeff. You can speed it up further by pouring a teakettle full of boiling water into the pan.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:54 am

Thanks guys!
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:01 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Jeff Grossman wrote:On a quick look around... the best advice is that you can make a regular oven act like a steam oven by placing a reservoir of water on the floor of the oven and let it get hot enough to boil.

That's a standard technique for baguettes and other Euro-style breads, as I expect you know, Jeff. You can speed it up further by pouring a teakettle full of boiling water into the pan.

Yes, most of the talk about steam ovens is by bread bakers.