Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Beef ideas for Xmas

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

Beef ideas for Xmas

by John F » Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:57 pm

Starting to think of Xmas dinner… any thoughts on roast beef or standing rib roasts? Or other ideas? I think I did a rib roast a few years back but don’t remember what the butcher did in advance to prep it etc.

Apologies for the vague question but trust you sense what I’m pondering!
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: Beef ideas for Xmas

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:45 pm

Beef filet weighing 3 three to four pounds. Marinate in soy sauce for 8 or more hours turning several times.
On the morning of the day of the party, brown filets in butter with Worcestershire sauce. Set aside. About 45 minutes before serving, place the filet in an open roasting pan. Roast at 450° for about 45 minutes or until medium rare. Let rest, slice thin. Serve with Bernaise Sauce and or Sour Cream mixed with Creamy horseradish. Serve with your favorite stuffed baked potatoes, (I have a super recipe) and other sides of your choosing. This is out of an old book called Five Star Favorites, Recipes from friends of Mamie and Ike Eisenhower. Around here, the cut of beef I get is typically called the Filet Mignon roast
Last edited by Karen/NoCA on Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:09 pm

I'm such a fan of prime rib that I can't resist. And I love traditional! Creamed spinach and yorkshire pudds for the sides, after a light salad course involving dark lettuces and blue cheese.

We very rarely eat beef these days. So give me a holiday excuse to 'go there' and go there I will. Your butcher probably sliced the meat off the bone and then tied it back. Makes carving dead-easy. One can buy boneless but I want those bones because 1) it's the perfect platform and 2) next day the leftover bones will get slathered in Dijon mustard, rolled in bread crumbs and baked till crisp. THAT is allmost better than the prime rib.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:43 pm

Jenise beat me to the prime rib - hard to resist that choice. Served with 'Yorkies' full of baby green peas and some sort of potato dish
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:02 pm

I will post this just in case someone would like a great stuffed baked potato recipe to go with the beef. Thee are awesome.

Stuffed Baked Potato Recipe:

Servings: 4 servings

Ingredients
4 large potatoes, Yukon Gold or Russet*
2 tablespoons butter
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon thyme, dried
2 tablespoons buttermilk or regular milk
2 green onions (white and green parts), sliced
3/4 cup Cheddar Cheese, grated
Paprika
Instructions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place the rack in the middle of the oven.

Scrub the potatoes clean under running water. Rub potatoes with olive oil and pierce each with a fork. Bake approximately 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until tender. Remove from oven and allow potatoes to cool to the touch.

Bake potatoes for approximately 50 minutes, or until tender. Remove from oven and let cool.

When cool, cut potatoes in half lengthwise, carefully scooping out the pulp with a small dinner spoon, leaving a 1/4-inch shell; set aside.

In a large bowl, place potato pulp (I like to put the potato pulp through my potato ricer). Add butter, cream cheese, sour cream, salt, pepper, thyme, and buttermilk or milk; mash with fork or mixer until smooth. Fold in sliced green onions and grated cheddar cheese. Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking and mix again.

Stuff potato shells with the potato mixture. Place in a shallow pan and sprinkle the tops of the potatoes with paprika. Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until heated through.

NOTE: The stuffed potato shells may be covered and refrigerated until ready to use. If potatoes have been refrigerated, allow additional time to reheat.