Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Hey Chili Pepper Hot Sauce lovers...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Hey Chili Pepper Hot Sauce lovers...

by Jenise » Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:25 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:I use Tabasco in the buttermilk when I marinate chicken. I do love the flavor it gives, but Tabasco can be a bit hot for me if I am not careful. It is a staple in my fridge, however, and I think it adds a lot of flavor to scrambled eggs, some cheese dishes, and marinades.

A restaurant near us when we lived in Huntington Beach did chicken wings heavily marinated in Tabasco then deep fried to a shattering crispiness. Best bar wings I've ever had. I now marinate whole chickens like you do. Talking about this is setting off a craving, and I haven't even had breakfast yet!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Hey Chili Pepper Hot Sauce lovers...

by Jenise » Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:39 pm

TomE wrote:I order from Chiporro Hot Sauce Company in Colorado. Two favorites are the Rocoto Hot and the Cilantro Jalapeno. When we were visiting friends in Sanford, FL, stumbled into a store that was full of hot sauces. Owner was working and he also makes his own (Hotter than El - https://www.hotterthanel.com/sauces). Ended up with a few bottles of the Gator Jakes which is Louisiana style, as well as a couple bottles of the Love Burns, but they are still in the pantry. He had a couple sauces on the First We Feast youtube show. I'll have to order some of the Hosa sauces recommended by Jenise.

Tom, I see you joined this group in 2006 but have only posted a few times over the years. Welcome back out of the shadows and don't be a stranger!

You remind me of a morning at a friend's home in So Cal. She's Chinese and had made a most excellent turnip cake for breakfast (it's not made out of turnips, it's made out of daikon radish, don't blame me for the name). We're all chili heads so they had an assortment of hot sauces on the table including some they'd brought back from a recent trip to the midwest. One from Illinois had a cherry component and I LOVED LOVED LOVED it, and another I liked a lot was from Colorado--Rocoto might have been the name. I've never seen either since but like most of these things, they're not in national distribution.

Oh, and re this couple, she had an uncle Cecil who lived in Trinidad. He made his own bright yellow hot sauce in the Carribean style, which was primarily green mangos, mustard and habaneros. Hot as hell but oh how we loved it. Well, Cecil died. Annabelle and I spent a curious weekend once trying to duplicate his flavors and we couldn't get there. No habanero-based hot sauce we tried since got even close until I discovered, in Canada, one from one of the British Carribbean islands. I bought a bottle to send to Annabelle, and they agreed--it was just like Uncle Cecil's! So this couple these days take all their vacations with Lindblad Explorers. And one year they did a Carribbean cruise with that company in the big restored yacht that had been built for one of those mega wealthy American families, like the Posts. And one of the places it docked was that very island. They found the factory and sent me a picture of them holding a bottle of the very hot sauce from Canada I'd sent them. But not the little three-four ounce bottle typical of the breed--it was a liter!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Previous