Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Spaghetti pie? YES!!!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Spaghetti pie? YES!!!

by Jenise » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:44 pm

Yesterday, we got together with friends to open wines from Tuscany. For that, I made this recipe for Spaghetti Pie: https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/spa ... nd-spinach.

Do you make spaghetti pies? I never have, haven't even eaten one at someone else's house. I've noticed a few recipes but thought of them as kid food and never seriously looked at one until this adult version showed up. That it's vegetarian was a plus (many in our group are meatless or at least meatless-preferred), and that it would be easy to transport and serve at room temperature made it perfect for a wine-themed potluck. A 9" pie will cut into about 20 1" slices. I recommend the recipe with these revisions: 1) lose the ricotta. Doesn't really anything, not worth the extra expense. 2) add more parmesan and garlic. 3) add black truffles. 4) skip the extra salt. I seasoned the mushroom mixture and counted on the cheeses for the rest. 5) the 35 minute cook time is a joke--at 30 minutes the center of the pie was a cool 122F, that's rare beef! I kept it in the oven another 25 minutes and pulled it at 150F to make sure I didn't have a semi-raw egg problem.

The result was delicious, and perfect for this type of event just as imagined. I spent part of last night laying awake imagining this as a template for other versions. Then just now I went to google the recipe for this post, and to my surprise 'Gail Simmons Spaghetti Pie' pulled up a number of different recipes. I only looked at one, but it was red-sauce based, or at least it had tomatoes in it. It had Italian sausage and broccoli instead of mushrooms and spinach, but no matter on that. More importantly it called for half the amount of milk mine did (might be compensated for wetness by the addition of tomatoes), no ricotta!, and total baking time of an hour and 15 minutes. A long time but possibly a lower oven temp--didn't check that.

Anyway, tons of possibilities: 1 lb spaghetti + 1.5 c milk + 3 eggs + 3 cups fontina-similar + 1 cup parmesan and a 9" springform pan. That's the base, add whatever you love. I look forward to making another.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: Spaghetti pie? YES!!!

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:36 am

Spaghetti Pies are very popular. Here is the one I have made and she says it is a Gail Simmons recipe. Do not know if she has tweaked it, she usually does. A classicly trained chef who got out of the rat race to stay home and raise her kids and find ways to make difficult recipes easier. I like her recipes, but do add a bit more flavor pops.

https://www.onceuponachef.com/recipes/g ... i-pie.html
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Spaghetti pie? YES!!!

by Jenise » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:09 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Spaghetti Pies are very popular. Here is the one I have made and she says it is a Gail Simmons recipe. Do not know if she has tweaked it, she usually does. A classicly trained chef who got out of the rat race to stay home and raise her kids and find ways to make difficult recipes easier. I like her recipes, but do add a bit more flavor pops.

https://www.onceuponachef.com/recipes/g ... i-pie.html

That's exactly the other recipe I found that I described in my post. Less milk, more baking time, tomatoes.... Apparently Gail plays with this idea a lot.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov