Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's Cooking (Take Four)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Re: What's Cooking (Take Four)

by Larry Greenly » Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:41 pm

Yesterday, was a simple dinner of (a really good deal) pork chops with onion, lemon on top, and bbq sauce over, asparagus, and potatoes au gratin.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:24 am

Sounds delicious Larry, my kind of food!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:07 pm

Too much red meat this week (for a gout victim) so today we're vegetarians. Fortunately I picked up 400 grams of fresh wild mushroom ravioli yesterday at an Italian market in Vancouver. Not sure yet how I'll approach saucing them,
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:09 pm

Jenise wrote:Too much red meat this week (for a gout victim) so today we're vegetarians. Fortunately I picked up 400 grams of fresh wild mushroom ravioli yesterday at an Italian market in Vancouver. Not sure yet how I'll approach saucing them.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:28 pm

Jenise wrote:Not sure yet how I'll approach saucing them,

How creative do you get with saucing ravioli? I suppose the gout might affect your decisions, but I always go simple, a bit of butter/oil, especially if the ravioli are good! (I suppose 'broth' is the lower-fat version)
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:37 pm

A friend of the chef where I play the piano brought in some elk steaks tonight for him to cook. I had a sample taste of one. Yum!
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:38 pm

For the ravioli:
Brown butter and sage comes to mind.
Piccata perhaps.
EVOO and gremolata.
Sauteed onions (...as if they were pierogi!).
Sweet red pepper pesto and pine nuts.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:21 am

Rahsaan wrote:

How creative do you get with saucing ravioli? I suppose the gout might affect your decisions, but I always go simple, a bit of butter/oil, especially if the ravioli are good! (I suppose 'broth' is the lower-fat version)

I actually did keep it fairly simple. Made a pan sauce with cooking water, olive oil, some parm and finely chopped pecans, then topped each plate with crumbled fried sage. Was fantastic.

Btw my sage plant, in a pot and now about ten years old, survived the winter amazingly well. It wasn't protected from the freezes though sadly my rosemary plant, which was, died. I'm surprised to learn that sage is this hardy.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:04 am

I love browned butter but have never tried it on ravioli. A small community called Williams is about 90 minutes south of here off of 15 has a restaurant and bar called Ganzellis which has a very cool store that sells the best ravioli. At one time they were made by the family. The meat sauce is awesome and all our family has ever used. Our son and family love them deep-fried, they are amazing.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:24 am

Redding's largest Farmer's Market opens this morning, and smaller markets will soon follow as the season progresses. Today I am making an easy sheet pan dinner. I have a large skin-on bone-in chicken breast which I will split. On the sheet pan will be baby, multi-colored potatoes, mini peppers, leek slices, red onion, and garlic all tossed with an Asian concoction which will include spicy chile crisp; I am also grilling asparagus tossed with sesame oil and fresh lemon juice.
An update: my Asian concoction ended up being low sodium soy sauce, Chinese black vinegar, rice vinegar, honey, fresh garlic, fresh ginger, pepper, hoisin sauce, and the chile crisp. Tossed the veggies in it, and the chicken is marinating in the same. Sure smells good! Oh, at Farmer's Market, I found a small head of cauliflower with the leaves still on, so I cut it up and added that to the veggies.
Last edited by Karen/NoCA on Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:11 pm

Sounds great, Karen. I think we're having dinner with friends tonight, and don't have any lunch plans in particular. I really just want to eat the rest of that heavenly sauerkraut from the choucroute. I rinsed it before cooking, and seasoned it with slivered organic uncured bacon, juniper berries and grated apple. It cooked for an hour, then was piled on top of the smoked pork chops with further informed it with amazing flavor. I have a bunch of kale standing by to add and renew it.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:00 pm

Sneak up on them slowly from behind, then hit them with the sauce when they're not looking. :lol:

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:23 pm

Jenise wrote:
Rahsaan wrote:

I actually did keep it fairly simple. Made a pan sauce with cooking water, olive oil, some parm and finely chopped pecans, then topped each plate with crumbled fried sage. Was fantastic.

Nuts, sage, cheese, hard to go wrong!
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:59 am

Breakfast this morning was a small omelet with sauteed green onions, pico de Gallo, white pepper, pink salt, and a little low-calorie buttermilk, topped with a sprinkle of parmesan Reggiano. A few raspberries, mandarin wedges, and a slice of pear on the side sprinkled with chile lime seasoning. The other half will be breakfast tomorrow.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:45 pm

Dinner tonight will be Italian sausage tortelloni in a red sauce. Can't wait.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:38 am

Last night I made an excellent recipe from the NYT for a light, quick Greek-ish pasta sauce made with ground lamb, canned artichokes, garlic, mint and cherry tomatoes. Extra seasoning comes tomato paste, white wine, and red pepper flakes. It's something I'll make again and again, and I don't often say that.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:48 pm

Tonight I'll be grilling chicken thighs marinated with a West Indian-style dry rub from Schlesinger's The Thrill of the Grill. Tomorrow night will be pork lo mein.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:03 pm

Tonight, we're going out for Taco Tuesday with a friend, then quaffing wine at home afterward. No cooking for me involved. Yay.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:55 am

Jenise wrote:Last night I made an excellent recipe from the NYT for a light, quick Greek-ish pasta sauce made with ground lamb, canned artichokes, garlic, mint and cherry tomatoes. Extra seasoning comes tomato paste, white wine, and red pepper flakes. It's something I'll make again and again, and I don't often say that.

Jenise, I am not a huge fan of mint in cooking. However, I used to use Cross and Blackwell's mint sauce to marinate lamb chops for decades. I bought it recently and discovered that the company had discontinued making it. Is there another herb you would recommend for this dish? Perhaps fresh basil?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:35 pm

Basil would definitely be second choice.

But I do love the mint in it. Right now I have a glass of iced tea on my desk that had fresh mint steeped with it. And last night I made one of the best dishes of recent memory, again using mint.

Yesterday morning I woke up with that tomato-mint flavor on the brain so I made a tabboulleh for lunch. Only, a friend of Bob's dropped by to work with him on something close to noon nd there went our midday meal. I'd been planning scallops for dinner but still had the tomato-mint jones, and last week I bought some Lebanese white wine and :idea: ! I put a ring mold in the center of plain white dinner plates, spooned some tabbouleh around the outside of it, and then piled five seared scallops in the center, which I topped with a fresh green onion 'jam' and some finely chopped peanuts. WOW. Definitely a 10.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:39 pm

Meeting friends for dinner tonight so for lunch I made the meal I'd planned with the half of my brain that didn't remember that we were going out tonight and that talked me into buying fresh Ahi yesterday. :roll: Cut into a rectangle, seared and tiled over frisee and rice with ponzu and szechuan chile oil.

Of course, now I'm not hungry for dinner.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:32 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Jenise, I am not a huge fan of mint in cooking. However, I used to use Cross and Blackwell's mint sauce to marinate lamb chops for decades. I bought it recently and discovered that the company had discontinued making it. Is there another herb you would recommend for this dish? Perhaps fresh basil?

Curious, I looked it up. C&B mint sauce was discontinued in December, 2022 plus the whole company. But I saw a lot of recipes online that look easy.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:10 am

Yes, I have seen all the recipes. I no longer grow mint. in our area, it is very invasive and needs to be planted in a strong pot. It takes over everything with underground roots that can break a pot. I have a waist-high herb garden in a tub just outside my kitchen and decided to plant mint in it but keep it trimmed. Ha! It took over the planter tub and I had a hard time getting all the roots out trying to kill the other herbs. It even sent roots out of the holes for drainage—terrible stuff. I hope to eventually find another mint sauce that is as good as the C&B.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:12 pm

I like mint iced tea and when in high school I convinced my dad to plant a small plot of common mint at one edge of the garden. When I went off to college, my dad decided that he'd had enough of the mint, which annually invaded both the lawn and the rest of the garden. Every spring he had someone come in to roto-till the garden. This year he didn't rope off the area where the mint was. He didn't tell me about this until after he'd done it. I told him I wish he'd told me about it first, because all he'd done is to distribute the mint over the entire garden. Sure enough, the mint grew everywhere and he spent the whole summer pulling up mint plants.

-Paul W.
PreviousNext