Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Eggzit Poll

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

Are orange yolked eggs any tastier than yellow yolks?

No, there is no correlation between colour and taste
29%
Yes, orange is tastier
57%
Yes, yellow is tastier
No votes
I vote for green eggs but only when served with ham
14%

Total votes : 7
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Eggzit Poll

by Bill Spohn » Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:14 am

What tastes best?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Eggzit Poll

by Jenise » Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:13 pm

I rarely eat eggs as you know, but I've mentioned many times that from a mixed dozen of varied colors from local farmers, I'll serve Bob one brown and one green or blue egg. Fried over easy, he doesn't know which is which, as color is more obvious to the cook who sees the raw egg than to the eater. Of the probably 100 times I've asked if he liked one egg better than the other, only once did he not choose the blue/green egg. He simply says, "it seemed a little richer".

We're currently working our way through a dozen blue eggs whose yolks are almost red.

Your findings?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:11 pm

I have a preference for the darker orange yolks generally. Hard to say if that is conditioned by taste or appearance - the orange eggs just look better in an omelet or what have you.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:09 pm

Not sure I can put it into words, but it's less about which color and more about the hue/quality of the color. Just like their vegetable counterparts, supermarket/long distribution chain eggs look tired and dull when you crack them. Fresher eggs from serious farmers look more vibrant, regardless of color. (Same for the shells)
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:37 pm

I'm with Rahsaan. Blue/brown/white is about the breed. We usually get blue/green, but it's because we like that farmer's products. There are other very good farmers with brown eggs at our market, not upset if I need to get from them. And with free range chickens the color can vary season to season (or even week to week) depending on what they eat. I'd rather have a fresh yellow yolk from a pasture hen than a deep orange from a caged hen being fed marigold or alfalfa,
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:00 am

Dale Williams wrote:I'm with Rahsaan. Blue/brown/white is about the breed...

I get that. Here when we get farm eggs, there's often a range of mixed colors within the same dozen from the same farmer. And among those, tasting blind, Bob will generally prefer the blue or green eggs if what I cook for him is one green and one brown, say. Not that the others are dogs, not at all, but he usually detects some slight ifference.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov