Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Korean Bul-Kogi (Korean Barbecued Beef)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

RCP: Korean Bul-Kogi (Korean Barbecued Beef)

by Jon Peterson » Mon May 21, 2007 9:42 am

Korean Bul-Kogi
(New York Times International Cookbook)

About 4 servings

2 pounds beef sirloin rib or flank steak
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
3 green onions, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic finely minced
¼ plus 1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 tablespoons sesame oil
¼ cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons sherry or beef stock
¼ teaspoon MSG
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Slice the steak into thin strips diagonally, across the grain. Score each piece lightly with an X.

Place the sesame seeds in a pan and brown slowly over medium heat, then grind in a mortar.

Combine the ground sesame seeds and remaining ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Add the meat to the marinade and stir until well coated. Let stand 20 minutes or more. Grill over charcoal (or electric grill or broil in an oven). Do not overcook – 30 to 60 seconds per side is good for me.

PS- I don't score the beef and I don't use MSG.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: RCP: Korean Bul-Kogi (Korean Barbecued Beef)

by Jenise » Mon May 21, 2007 7:04 pm

Jon, thanks. What's the X for--does it keep the meat from shrinking?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Tue May 22, 2007 9:14 am

Jenise, I have no idea what the X is for. It's just busy work as far as I'm concerned. If you cut 2 pounds of steak in strips you have a lot of strips - cut an X on each one? Forgedaboutit - talk about tedoius!
I know what you mean about keeping the meat from shrinking but these are strips. I don't know what Craig Claiborne was thinking.
I also though maybe they help with the flavor penetrating the meat - but again, these are strips with a lot of surface area. Who knows?
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue May 22, 2007 12:34 pm

Jenise wrote:Jon, thanks. What's the X for--does it keep the meat from shrinking?

The Bulgogi that I've seen (made by Koreans) is sliced so thin that there isn't enough thickness to score each piece with an X.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

by Howard » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:37 pm

Just ate at Cho Sun Ok on Lincoln in North Center neighborhood of Chicago last night for the first time. Great local place, we were the only non-Koreans there. And Paul's comment was appropriate. Don't get the X but I'm going to try to make this sometime. What a great, inexpensive meal that was. There must have been 10 different little side dishes. And the seafood scallion pancakes are amazing too.
Howard
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:57 pm

Howard wrote:Just ate at Cho Sun Ok on Lincoln in North Center neighborhood of Chicago last night for the first time. Great local place, we were the only non-Koreans there. And Paul's comment was appropriate. Don't get the X but I'm going to try to make this sometime. What a great, inexpensive meal that was. There must have been 10 different little side dishes. And the seafood scallion pancakes are amazing too.

Isn't Korean food great? Jon's recipe (this one) is terrific. I went through a Korean BBQ phase about four months ago and had a memory lapse at the time about Jon's recipe being here on line. So I tried a number of different recipes I found on the 'net, most of which used too much soy sauce and weren't as sweet or complex as the ones I'd had at my first Korean restaurant experience, and therefore to my tastes all wrong. Jon's recipe hits the nail on the head.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov