Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP for Otto: Consomme de Huevos al Jerez

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RCP for Otto: Consomme de Huevos al Jerez

by Jenise » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:04 pm

I don't care for eggs, but my husband who loves eggs and sherry went wild for this simple soup (from Jackie Passmore's The Complete Spanish Cookbook), and this struck me as a dish an egg and sherry loving bachelor like Otto might cook up some night.

Consomme with Poached Eggs and Sherry (serves four)

4 small eggs
2 tsp white vinegar
4 cups rich veal or canned consomme
salt and pepper
2 tsp finely chopped parsley
2 ounces (1/4 c) Amontillado sherry

Separately poach the eggs in gently simmering water acidulated with the vinegar. Place one in each bowl. Bring the stock just to a boil and season to taste. Pour over the eggs, add the parsley and sherry immediately before serving.

That's the recipe: I added some fresh croutons pan toasted in a bit of EVOO.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: RCP for Otto: Consomme de Huevos al Jerez

by Saina » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:56 pm

Thanks Jenise! Alas, it does seem like I'm a bachelor once again. :( What is canned consomme? Did you use Amontillado in the dish when you made it? I'm tempted to try, but all the Amontillados available here are too good (and too expensive) to use in cooking, so I'd love to know if it works with cheap Fino or Manzanilla! Did you drink it with the same Amontillado used in cooking?

-Otto-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:08 pm

Otto, sorry to hear you're sleeping alone again.

As for what quality to cook with, it's one thing to throw some cheap old sherry in a stew, and it's quite another when you're using the sherry as a finishing condiment as you are in this case. You'd want to use a sherry as good as any you would drink here, and the quantity's not much. For one serving, about a tablespoon.

Consomme is essentially beef broth. Oh wait--are you vegetarian? I remember the lactose intolerance, but not sure about the rest.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:35 pm

Jenise wrote:Consomme is essentially beef broth. Oh wait--are you vegetarian? I remember the lactose intolerance, but not sure about the rest.

Ah, I see! Thanks. I've always used the word stock, so I was thinking it might be something different. I am omnivorous, so I'll try it out soon. But perhaps with a Palo Cortado.

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.