Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Another grocery store casualty

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Another grocery store casualty

by Larry Greenly » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:53 pm

The three major grocery store chains, Smith's, Albertson's, and Raley's is going to be two. Raley's is moving out of NM in August. Woe is me, because they had fabulous deals on vino. Plus the lack of competition bothers me once again. We lost Furr's markets a few years ago, Wild Oats is merging with Whole Foods, and now this. :cry:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Another grocery store casualty

by Jenise » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:01 pm

Ouch, that hurts. How many Raley's stores were there--is there a chance someone else will buy their locations and you'll still have competition, if not great wine deals?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:13 am

Albertson's bought Raley's. And I'm going to pick up mucho vino by August when Raley's closes. I knew the wine deals were too good to last.

I liked having three competitive grocery chains.

BTW, my favorite wife returned from Pennsylvania with a whole Lebanon Bologna (Seltzer's brand--the best). I schmoozed the meat guy at Raley's to slice it for me, telling him it was USDA and unopened. The stuff's 7 or 8 bucks a pound here and only 4-something in PA.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:11 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:BTW, my favorite wife returned from Pennsylvania with a whole Lebanon Bologna (Seltzer's brand--the best).

Absolutely my favorite brand, Larry!!! You are a lucky man!
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:30 am

There goes my diet. How can I resist Lebanon bologna sandwiches and Middleswarth BBQ chips?

http://www.seltzerslebanonbologna.com/
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:29 am

Larry Greenly wrote:How can I resist Lebanon bologna sandwiches and Middleswarth BBQ chips?

Don't fight it, Larry. Give in!
no avatar
User

Peter Hertzmann

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:58 pm

Palo Alto, CA

by Peter Hertzmann » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:25 pm

Living where you live, I would expect that you would have some excellent Mexican markets to shop in. Where I live (Palo Alto, CA) we have all the chains as well as some very expensive high-end markets, but I've found that heading to the barrio is my best bet. Just a few miles to the north of where I live, I can go to a market that still cuts meat from the carcass. They don't sell lamb, but if it’s pork, beef, or chicken—they have it all. And they’ll cut pieces to order. When I need a whole pig’s head (for head cheese) or beef kidneys, they have those, too. The market also has good quality vegetables—many of which are organic. And the prices? Better than any of the other stores.

Between this Mexican market, our local farmers markets, and one small vegetable store, I can do almost all my shopping.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:10 pm

Peter Hertzmann wrote:Living where you live, I would expect that you would have some excellent Mexican markets to shop in. Where I live (Palo Alto, CA) we have all the chains as well as some very expensive high-end markets, but I've found that heading to the barrio is my best bet. Just a few miles to the north of where I live, I can go to a market that still cuts meat from the carcass. They don't sell lamb, but if it’s pork, beef, or chicken—they have it all. And they’ll cut pieces to order. When I need a whole pig’s head (for head cheese) or beef kidneys, they have those, too. The market also has good quality vegetables—many of which are organic. And the prices? Better than any of the other stores.

Between this Mexican market, our local farmers markets, and one small vegetable store, I can do almost all my shopping.

It's similar here. And for lamb and goat, there's a place run by Indian Muslims nearby.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:33 am

Raley's is now another Albertson's. Not only are the prices higher, particularly on the wine, but one of the endcaps that always had some wine deals is now filled with Maxipads.

So much for reduced competition.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:29 am

Larry, you could buy some maxi-pads and use them as drip-wraps for your wine bottles. Just peel of the adhesive cover and wrap the thing around the neck of the bottle...no more drips. And with red wine, after you finish the bottle, it would look...well, I won't go there.

rwj
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:34 am

Robert J. wrote: And with red wine, after you finish the bottle, it would look...well, I won't go there.

rwj

You're a troublemaker. Which is why we love you, of course.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:27 pm

Robert J. wrote:Larry, you could buy some maxi-pads and use them as drip-wraps for your wine bottles. Just peel of the adhesive cover and wrap the thing around the neck of the bottle...no more drips. And with red wine, after you finish the bottle, it would look...well, I won't go there.

rwj

They're great for waxing cars, too.
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:36 pm

Albertson's recently sold off all of its Tulsa stores to other chains.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:07 pm

Robert R. wrote:Albertson's recently sold off all of its Tulsa stores to other chains.

Can anyone really blame them for wanting to get the heck out of Tulsa? That's my reaction every time I'm there. :wink:
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:15 pm

Hey, it's not THAT bad!
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:23 pm

Jenise wrote:
Robert J. wrote: And with red wine, after you finish the bottle, it would look...well, I won't go there.

rwj

You're a troublemaker. Which is why we love you, of course.

It's good to know that I have the moderators on my side. :twisted:

rwj
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:26 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:
Robert J. wrote:Larry, you could buy some maxi-pads and use them as drip-wraps for your wine bottles. Just peel of the adhesive cover and wrap the thing around the neck of the bottle...no more drips. And with red wine, after you finish the bottle, it would look...well, I won't go there.

rwj

They're great for waxing cars, too.

You could apply them backwards and wax the bikini line, too.

rwj
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:51 am

This MaxiPad stuff is really funny and timely. My daughter recently bought a new pair of dressage boots and is using StayFree minipads to protect her ankles from chafing while breaking them in. And last week at two shows she used them to pad the inside of her slightly too-large top hat.
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:12 am

You guys are cracking me up!
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:47 am

My dad once thought that a package a Sure and Natural maxi pad (which had come in the mail as some kind of free sample) was a box of prunes. The whole family got a GREAT, HUGE laugh when he announced that he was looking for them so he could eat them. :lol:

rwj
no avatar
User

Mark Willstatter

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:20 pm

Puget Sound

by Mark Willstatter » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:56 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:Raley's is moving out of NM in August.

This episode is a strange sort of "what goes around comes around", I guess, and seems interesting in light of the FTC's stance on the WF's purchase of Wild Oats. Raley's was only in NM in the first place because of Alberston's purchase of the parent of the Lucky grocery chain in 1999. The FTC looked at competitive issues on a region-by-region basis and, in the case of New Mexico, forced Albertson's to sell the eight or ten stores or whatever. Raley's was looking to expand at the time and bought them, as well as a similar number in Las Vegas. In the Sacramento area, where Raley's is based, a few stores became Ralph's, a SoCal chain.

So here we are in 2007, and Albertson's is rebuying the same stores it was forced to sell in order in order to maintain competition just eight years ago. Hmmm. I suppose a lot has changed in the meantime - Albertson's was itself bought by somebody else and Walmart has entered the business, driving down margins, among other things. Still, it's at least interesting. BTW, as I understand it, that's why Raley's is retrenching (they've already backed out of Las Vegas) - they've decided they need to concentrate on defending the home turf in Northern CA.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:16 am

They come and go in Albuquerque. I remember Safeway and Furr's (a large, very long-time, New Mexican grocery chain) and now, Raley's. John Brooks Supermarkets (local) has moved out of my area and have shrunk their base. And there are probably others I don't remember.

Albertson's has also changed its name several times: Skaggs, Jewel-Osco, Alpha-Beta, Albertson's are what I remember. All in a decade or so.