Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Cilantro or not?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

Re: Cilantro or not?

by Peter May » Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:57 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Stuart Yaniger wrote: is it possible that you just don't get very good quality cilantro in England? My limited experience with it was that it was extremely mild, lacking the punch of the Cal-Mex variety we get around here. Terroir? Clone? Far too limited sample?

I was thinking exactly the same thing and would add "short, cool growing season." Cilantro's natural habitat is in subtropical to tropical regions.

Well, there's no way to tell about clone etc.

Regarding growing season, much of our foodstuffs are imported. I'll check next time where the coriander comes from.

But I have spent time in Asia and India* and I've not found coriander leaves other than pleasant --and unremarkable in that its not something really to notice, its just a flavouring, certainly not a herb to object to

*and Texas & California
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:32 pm

I've not found coriander leaves other than pleasant --and unremarkable in that its not something really to notice, its just a flavouring, certainly not a herb to object to
Aux contraires. Certainly if the palate was not discerning, then everyone would like everything. While you do not find cilantro objectionable, obviously there is a large segment of the human population who do, to which this thread is a testament. At my place of employment we have a cafeteria cook who is stuck on cilantro and rosemary. No matter what you order, you will find one or the other in at least one of the entree ingredients. Personally, I don't find cilantro problematic (although I am not particularly fond of it), unless the cook has little imagination and the over use of the herb (or any other with strong character) becomes the pallette from which they paint all dishes in their quest for culinary expertise. In this regard, they fail miserably.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:49 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote: Aux contraires

I was speaking for myself. I wonder just how large a percentage of diners find it objectionable since, as you say, it is so widely used.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:03 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if it were 50/50.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:00 pm

Given the disparity of opinions on the board here, I wonder if there's some component in cilantro that some of us perceive as very strong while others don't pick up on it at all? One of those genetic taste things, maybe?

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:18 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:
Larry Greenly wrote:It's in your genes.

Yes. I should have picked my parents more wisely! ;) And I should have picked wealthier ones while I was at it!

Cyn, you must know that money is a relative thing. I just wish it was a relative of mine. :-)
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:04 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:
Cynthia Wenslow wrote:
Larry Greenly wrote:It's in your genes.

Yes. I should have picked my parents more wisely! ;) And I should have picked wealthier ones while I was at it!

Cyn, you must know that money is a relative thing. I just wish it was a relative of mine. :-)

Ditto. But, ultimately, I'm happy how it all turned out.

rwj
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:14 am

WOW...I had no idea that cilantro was so controversial!

I am in the LOVE IT category. I remember the first time I experienced it was in a Pad Thai. I kept getting a lovely bright citrusy flavor that I attributed to fresh squeezed lime juice. I later realized that it was the cilantro. I don't get the soapy flavor and I have never heard anyone say this before. I always thought it tasted like lime. I am glad that you started this thread. I always put cilantro in my salsa and guacamole, but I will make sure all my guests like it before I do that next time.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:41 pm

Robert J. wrote:
Stuart Yaniger wrote:Every time I do this with cilantro or basil, it wilts overnight. It stays green, but it goes absolutely limp. What am I doing wrong?

You may know this but basil doesn't like to be cold. I keep mine, stems cut, in a cup of water on the kitchen window sill. Keeps for weeks and always roots. I never pay more than $0.99 for my entire season's worth of basil. I root the first stock, plant it and it just keeps going.

rwj

Now aren't you handy. Didn't realize it would root.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:06 pm

Thanks, Jenise. I do most of my herbs this way. I have never been able to get thyme to root. But basil, oregano, lavender, and parsely have all been done (though parsely doesn't work all the time). My lavender, oregano, and rosemary bushes are all so big that I can cut them back, dry the trimmings, and have enough for my pantry and more to put in jars as gifts.

I laugh when I see folks at CM spending $5.00 on a little basil plant. Especially when they can just buy the bunched herb for $0.99, root it and have basil all season long.

rwj
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:13 am

I hear you, but not everyone's a gardener. I do okay, but man I can't get basil to grow to safe my life. Karen (who posts here) shamed me into planting some this season. So I bought two starter plants for $3 each, put them in a pot about six weeks ago, and they've grown about one measly inch since. So of course the bugs are now attacking what little plumage there is and I'm buying basil for whatever they charge for it.

My sage, oregano, chives and thyme are spectacular though--all wintered over beautifully and now my plants are huge. The rosemary, which was a year older than the others and therefore safer, I thought, wasn't so lucky and I'm trying to save the plant, though I'd probably be better off replanting. What didn't die has very small leaves, even the new growth, so clearly it's compromised even though it's surviving. My parsley's looking good--I often put it in jars of water as you describe doing but never have seen it attempt to root.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:46 pm

Everyone has their bane. Basil is yours, thyme is mine. My thyme seems to never quite make it.

rwj
Previous