Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Copper River salmon recipe(s)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Copper River salmon recipe(s)

by Bob Henrick » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:11 pm

I stopped at Sam's club this afternoon and they had fresh wild caught Sockeye salmon for only $9.98 per pound. I picked up a 1.5 pound skin on fillet and have it iced in the fridge waiting for Sunday. I intend to cook it on my grill, but would like advise/reccos as to what to put on it prior to grilling. I know that I will cook the fillet skin side down, and will likely finely chop some fresh dill to sprinkle on the flesh side. Might also sprinkle a bit of seasoned salt, but otherwise I will let the fish be the star attraction. I plan on serving it for dinner Sunday along with a nice Stone Wolf reserve pinot Noir.. All advise welcomed.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: Copper River salmon recipe(s)

by Howie Hart » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:06 pm

I like to a bit of lemon juice, S&P on the meat before cooking and put dill and melted butter on top after cooking.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:55 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:I stopped at Sam's club this afternoon and they had fresh wild caught Sockeye salmon for only $9.98 per pound. I picked up a 1.5 pound skin on fillet and have it iced in the fridge waiting for Sunday. I intend to cook it on my grill, but would like advise/reccos as to what to put on it prior to grilling. I know that I will cook the fillet skin side down, and will likely finely chop some fresh dill to sprinkle on the flesh side. Might also sprinkle a bit of seasoned salt, but otherwise I will let the fish be the star attraction. I plan on serving it for dinner Sunday along with a nice Stone Wolf reserve pinot Noir.. All advise welcomed.

Those grapes were grown within a couple of miles of where I live. I'm in the northern section of the Eola Hills, the Amity Hills. Had a 2002 WillaKenzie last night (a gift from the folks for whom I judged a chili contest.)

Instead of dill, you might give rosemary a shot with salmon - and throw a few sprigs right in the coals.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:12 pm

Chef, I went ahead as planned with the dill, but am intrigued with using some rosemary on my next piece. If you can elaborate as to how to use rosemary. The salmon was delightful as was though. The fish was wild Copper River sockeye salmon, and it is amazing how much better the wild salmon is that the farm raised that is always available. All I did was to mix 2 teaspoons of dried dill with a stick of softened butter and brushed that on both pre and post cooking. Yum!
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:05 pm

Tarragon, Bob, tarragon...I have a great baste recipe I need to put online. We had Copper River just the other night with this baste -- terrific.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:42 am

I would love to try your recipe Randy. This was copper river as well, but was sockeye not King. I can't imagine how good king is if it is better than this was. And cooking it in my ceramic grill left it so moist and flaky. I have cooked salmon on my Holland gas grill and it is not as moist on gas.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:59 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:Chef, I went ahead as planned with the dill, but am intrigued with using some rosemary on my next piece. If you can elaborate as to how to use rosemary. The salmon was delightful as was though. The fish was wild Copper River sockeye salmon, and it is amazing how much better the wild salmon is that the farm raised that is always available. All I did was to mix 2 teaspoons of dried dill with a stick of softened butter and brushed that on both pre and post cooking. Yum!

Bob, mince the fresh rosemary and crush some black peppercorns in a mortar and pestle. Say, a tablespoon of each. Mix them together. Melt 1/4 pound of unsalted butter and combine all. Add a little salt. Brush it on the salmon. Throw a couple of sprigs of rosemary on the coals. You may also use rosemary sprigs to baste the salmon with the mixture, too.