Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Cooking in paper bags

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

Cooking in paper bags

by Carrie L. » Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:29 am

I have a great apple pie recipe that you tuck into a paper grocery bag, staple and bake. I've also heard of people cooking turkeys in them. Last night I went to microwave four ears of fresh corn, which I usually wrap in waxed paper, but since I was out of it, I shucked them and put them back into the sack they came in and microwaved them in that.

The thought occured to me that when the apple pie recipe was developed, it was probably in an era before paper recycling. I wonder what chemicals are going into foods that are cooked in paper bags now. :shock: Anyone have any thoughts on this?
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: Cooking in paper bags

by Howie Hart » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:25 am

My favorite way of doing corn on the cob is to microwave them with the husks on. Then pull the husks back just before eating and use the husk as a handle.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Cooking in paper bags

by Jenise » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:02 pm

Carrie, I've seen turkey done that way. I'd be terrified of it catching fire, but the result was certainly juicy and tasty enough. How did your corn turn out?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov