Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

ratatouille (sp)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

ratatouille (sp)

by Thomas » Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:35 am

...and I don't mean the Heartbeats singing A Thousand Miles Away. I mean the latest food/wine animated movie featuring rats.

I've been hearing good things about it. Anyone see it yet?
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: ratatouille (sp)

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:57 pm

I'm going today. Will report back.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:26 pm

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:27 pm

Thomas wrote:...and I don't mean the Heartbeats singing A Thousand Miles Away. I mean the latest food/wine animated movie featuring rats.

I've been hearing good things about it. Anyone see it yet?

Ooops... just posted a link to a trailer before seeing your post, Tom. It looks great - I am looking forward to seeing it.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:54 pm

Got back a couple of hours ago from seeing it. I'd recommend it. It has some of the somewhat cliched animated film aspects, but there's also a lot that a foodie can identify with. They bring in elements of everything from sell-out celebrity chefs to Marcel Proust. The movie puts stuff like sweetbreads, soup made from scratch, and the title dish in a positive light and corn dogs and frozen pizza in a negative one. The concept of comfort food gets a short but pivotal role.

One of the recurring themes is that one should not settle for bad food. One line went something along the lines of, "There is excellence all around you. You need only be aware to savor it." There are also a couple of neat scenes in which characters are transported out of their environment by really good food. The food becomes sounds, colors, and abstract shapes that then gather complexity as different taste elements come into play. Reminded me a bit of Fantasia.

They worked hard to give one an idea of the kind of frantic work that goes on in the kitchen of a high-end restaurant as well as the somewhat shady characters who sometimes work in them. I'm not qualified to judge the accuracy of this stuff except to say that it rings true in my limited restaurant experience. But there's a lot more to it than what I'm covering here.

I took my 15-year-old and she liked it. I'll probably take my 9-year-old when she gets back in town. If you have kids, use them as an excuse to go see it. If you don't, try renting some. For children, I think this movie amounts to foodie propaganda. God knows that kids in America today need all of that we can get them.

Mike

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

alex metags

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:55 pm

by alex metags » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:53 am

Just saw it as well. Loved the attention to detail, whether it's the streets of Paris, the way rats move, or the food. There's also a few wine references ('61 Latour and '47 Cheval Blanc) though they are not a major plot element. The Proustian moment toward the end was a blast. Though some of the underlying themes (be true to yourself, etc.) are not particularly original, I still felt the movie was fresh and engaging. Would definitely recommend it!

cheers
al
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:28 am

I have yet to read a bad review of this movie. I must get to see it soon.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:01 am

I loved it. Alex nailed it. The detail was amazing.
I'm not particularly in love with the thought of rats in a kitchen, but once I got past that, it was fine.
They really captured a restaurant kitchen, perfectly.

Well done and I highly recommend it to anyone with a serious interest in wine and food.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:54 am

Linda took Jimi to see it. He thought it was great and immediately wanted to go to McDonalds.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:57 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Linda took Jimi to see it. He thought it was great and immediately wanted to go to McDonalds.

Like father like son?
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:47 pm

I saw it. I think it is a cute movie and engaging, for the most part. The thing I thought had the greatest attention to detail was the movement of the rats. They scampered in exactly the way rodents do, traveling along the edges of structures using deft movement with purpose! Brilliant. The kitchen scenes with cooking staff was beautifully recreated. All the hype about the food, is just that -- hype. It's cartoon food. The deconstructed ratatouille was simply multicolored, round, stacked disks that could just as easily have been a stack of poker chips. Had they shown the squashes being sliced in the making, I could have crossed the threshole of imagination. The fact that Linguini couldn't hear Remy speak, but Remy pulling on Linguini's hair that made parts of his anatomy respond with apitude made no sense. What happens when Linguini starts to experience hair loss?! It's a cartoon for Chris sake -- if the rat could read human lettering, then he should have had the ability to form speech -- let's talk already! I enjoyed it.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:44 pm

Jo Ann wrote:I saw it. I think it is a cute movie and engaging, for the most part. The thing I thought had the greatest attention to detail was the movement of the rats. They scampered in exactly the way rodents do, traveling along the edges of structures using deft movement with purpose! Brilliant. The kitchen scenes with cooking staff was beautifully recreated. All the hype about the food, is just that -- hype. It's cartoon food. The deconstructed ratatouille was simply multicolored, round, stacked disks that could just as easily have been a stack of poker chips. Had they shown the squashes being sliced in the making, I could have crossed the threshole of imagination. The fact that Linguini couldn't hear Remy speak, but Remy pulling on Linguini's hair that made parts of his anatomy respond with apitude made no sense. What happens when Linguini starts to experience hair loss?! It's a cartoon for Chris sake -- if the rat could read human lettering, then he should have had the ability to form speech -- let's talk already! I enjoyed it.

Yeah it is kind of funny that they have a rat who can read, manipulate a human by pulling his hair, and who is a brilliant world-class chef, but they drew the line at him talking to people. It would be interesting to know why they made that decision.

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:26 pm

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:47 am

Just saw it this evening! It was a delight: very funny, beautifully animated, with a great story line! :D