Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Help wanted: suggestions for low cal snacks available anytime at home.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Help wanted: suggestions for low cal snacks available anytime at home.

by Bob Ross » Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:03 am

I've been struggling with my weight as result of not getting in enough miles, for a variety of probably indefensible reasons -- but there you are. :(

I've got a bowl of celery pieces chopped up in the fridge for when hunger/eating urges strike, but would love to add a bit of variety.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks, Bob
no avatar
User

Joel Sprague

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:21 am

Re: Help wanted: suggestions for low cal snacks available anytime at home.

by Joel Sprague » Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:22 am

Cottage cheese, hard boiled eggs, whole grain pretzel nuggest from Trader Joes (I split these out into 100 calorie bags, aka one serving pack them in my lunch too)
in vino veritas
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:49 am

Bob, I'm glad you brought this up. We've had three straight weeks of house guests, so we've gained a few pounds...Dessert every night, lots of snacking. So I'm going to share my ideas and join you in cutting back.

-Edamame.
-Pickling cucumbers, cut into wedges sprinkled with kosher salt and pepper.
-Marcona almonds (or any almonds). They are not entirely low cal, but I find that five or so of them will curb my hunger.
-Bloody mary mix. I know it's a drink, but it tastes like a treat. You can even dip your celery in it.
-A cup of tea or decaf coffee. Many times I can stave off a craving by having one.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:28 am

Bob Ross wrote:I've been struggling with my weight as result of not getting in enough miles, for a variety of probably indefensible reasons -- but there you are. :(

I've got a bowl of celery pieces chopped up in the fridge for when hunger/eating urges strike, but would love to add a bit of variety.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks, Bob

Lots of good suggestions already, Bob! Lowfat cottage cheese and pretzels in moderation are regular "sensible munchies" options here. A jar of crispy banana peppers is another good one. I hope this thread gives me some more good ideas, too!
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:06 am

Add carrot and, if you are ready, parsnip sticks the celery. That combo is a fav around here.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:00 am

94% fat free microwave popcorn, any vegetables chopped/sliced and refrigerated (we especially like sweet red bell peppers), fat free sugar free pudding, corn tortillas crisped and dipped in salsa, sugar free popsicles or fat free frozen fudge bars, hard boiled eggs, chewing gum, reduced salt broth, whole wheat low carb tortillas used to wrap up salad ingredients, frozen fruit eaten as is or made into a smoothie.

And water. Drink lots of water. Then drink some more. It really helps curb cravings and control your appetite.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:58 pm

My favorite hunger-stavers: pickled foods. I am particularly in love with Bruno's Chileno peppers, which I order up by the case from Northern California where these unique peppers are grown and produced (introduced to the area by Chilean mining and railroad workers, I was told, who brought the seeds from the Andes). Another favorite is Indian pickles--I buy mango pickle (this is not a chutney) for the express purpose of being able to scoop a spoonful every now and then. I find really intense flavors like that seem to work with my tastebuds like a Reset button.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:43 am

Another favorite: kim chee.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:03 am

Coming at it from a different angle, why not just make sure the main meals (breakfast, lunch, and dinner) are filling and properly nutritious.

I know food consumption patterns are highly individualistic and the result of multiple factors, but I have a number of friends who struggle with their weight, eat relatively small "meals", and then proceed to snack on disastrous foods throughout the day.

In comparison, I eat filling and nutritious meals and then have little need for snacks inbetween.

But, I know this may not work for everyone. Like any "diet" plan.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:05 am

Popcorn, and I don't mean the microwave type. It fills you up with bulk and is low in calories. You can use a hot-air popper for zero fat or a small amount of oil in a pan to pop it (figure 120 cal/Tbs and you'll need much less than that--probably half as much). Bags of popcorn are also much cheaper than the microwave type. There's butter-flavored salt on the market, too, for flavoring. And you can experiment with chili powder, a few sprinkles of Parmesan, and other flavors.

I've also found that 1/4 tsp of cinnamon per day keeps the glucose levels pretty even, preventing ravenous hunger pangs.

Of course, there's the various types of rabbit food recommended by others on this thread. One that hasn't been mentioned is jicama. Sticks of jicama dipped into chili powder are tasty.
no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

WoodburyMN

Low Fat Low Calorie Buttermilk Panna Cotta

by GeoCWeyer » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:57 pm

low Fat Buttermilk Panna Cotta
The buttermilk and fat free 1/2 and 1/2 give the Panna Cotta a nice rich mouthfeel. The buttermilk to my palate seems to mask any sort of flavors that signal to me "diet" food. I love this with fresh fruit.

2 1/2 tsp unflavored gelatin
1 ¼ cups fat free 1/2 & 1/2 LandoLakes is the best
9 envelopes of Equal or Splenda
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 ¾ cups low fat buttermilk
½ cup skim milk

Soften gelatin with 2 TBS water & vanilla extract, add the Equal. Slightly heat ½-cup skim milk, and then add to softened gelatin and Equal. Stir until dissolved. Stir in the fat free ½ and ½ and buttermilk.

Strain and divide the custard between 6 8 oz ramekins and refrigerate until set, about 3 hours. To unmold, drop ramekins into a dish of hot water, then invert onto the plates. Garnish with fresh fruit.

Might be possible to add 1 tsp dried buttermilk to dry ingredients. This would enhance the buttermilk flavor if desired.
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

Re: Low Fat Low Calorie Buttermilk Panna Cotta

by Maria Samms » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:42 pm

Hey Bob,

I am right there with ya...just got back from a very indulgent weekend and am now paying the price.

Things that help me are Green Tea (it really seems to be an appetite suppressant). Also, high protein snacks, like an oz of some nice sharp cheddar sliced super thin (so you get a lot of slices...LOL) served with a few whole wheat cracker or a sliced apple or pear. Also, just a few slices of deli turkey breast helps curb the hunger. I do eat celery sticks and carrots, but unless I add a protein, I really never seem to satisfy the hunger. Popcorn is definitely good. Whole wheat crackers (about 5) topped with a mix of chopped tomato, basil, an ounce of fresh Mozzeralla...add a squeeze of lemon and some garlic salt, and a quick drizzle of olive oil is a yummy snack and doesn't have a ton of calories. You can take a slice of pumpernickel, cut in half, add a slice of swiss, a slice of deli ham, some sauerkraut and mustard and grill on a panini (or the Foreman) grill, serve with a dill pickle.

If I am craving something sweet, I will usually take a piece of fruit, peel and slice, add an ounce of apple or cranberry juice to a saucepan, along with the fruit and some cinnamon and simmer until soft. You can always add some raisins or dried cranberries to that. Then I will take a tablespoon of oatmeal, mix with a few chopped almonds, some more cinnamon, and spray with some cooking spray and toast quickly...sprinkle on top of the warm fruit.

Or I will dip a few strawberries in some melted semi-sweet chocolate.

I know a lot of these snacks seem like a lot of work, but I think that sometimes extra preparation for a snack distracts me from my hunger, and also helps me not to just reach for the nearest bag of candy or potato chips. I have found that I have gotten so consummed with the preparation of a snack, that I am actually not hungry by the time it's ready... :lol: .
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:25 am

Whole wheat tortilla w/ sliced white meat turkey, a bit of mustard, rolled. Complex carbs, lean protein , low calorie….and tasty too.

I use this for between meal snacking.

Richard
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:29 pm

Popcorn, as others have said, is a winner. I adore the 100-calorie microwave packs, done in 90 seconds, no measuring, no getting out the popcorn popper, and quite filling. It's truly a miracle how much you get. Still, probably not the most healthful, still has some trans fat as well as bizarro flavors and preservatives.

I always have baby carrots and water around, they are also the standbys. If you're waiting till dinner, maybe a glass of wine, only 75 calories and with modest sips will last a half-hour. I also keep beef jerky around because the protein is filling, but it's loaded with sugar and salt and perhaps is not the ideal snack.

Walt
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:53 pm

I like to keep dried fruit, primarily mangos, raisins, and mission figs, around. I also keep a bag of mixed and unsalted nuts available. Whenever I get a craving I just munch a handful of both. My doc says not to worry about the fat from nuts, avocado, EVOO, etc.

rwj
no avatar
User

Eden B.

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:35 pm

by Eden B. » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:04 pm

I cannot believe I am going to admit to this, but because I feel your pain, Bob, I am going to admit to my new-found trick that keeps me satisfied and prevents me from reaching back into the bag or closet for more.

I sit at my cubicle all day, at my soul-sucking job, and when I'm bored, stressed, or truly just plain hungry, the urge to snack pops up often. I tried cut up veggies, I tried cut up fruit, I tried low-fat pudding, I tried low-cal hot chocolate. Nothing ever really did the trick to satisfy the urge to snack.

OK, so I do not shop in this section of the store unless I need something for my vegetarian mother joining us for dinner, and I admittedly shun anything overtly "vegetarian" if I can have the real-deal dead animal, instead (sorry, Stuart!) - so I don't even know why I gave this a try. But one day, I picked up a box of Original Boca Burgers (the only veggie burger I think is worthwhile), thinking that since they were low cal, etc, I would try a couple of a lower-cal lunches every once in a while during the week to counterbalance excess over the weekend. Not my favorite lunch in comparison with, say, a slice of pizza or leftovers from a fab dinner the night before, but surprisingly, they felt satisfying, and I could feel better about going home and having the kind of dinner I really wanted.

Then it dawned on me - since each "burger" is only 70 calories and didn't have the "sweet" component of many low-cal snacks I was having (which I thought could be part of the problem), I thought it might be a good idea to nuke one of them as a snack instead. I cannot tell you how well this has worked out for me. If, on a bad day, 1 doesn't do it, I have 2. 2 at 70 cal each is not a bad snack, either, and it's not like I'm downing crap. I feel like I'm actually eating something, and it doesn't make me crave anything else, as well. (And people tell me the soy is supposed to be "good for me" - whatever. I prefer not to think about that! ;) The important thing is, with my slowing metabolism and painful workday, I have finally found a snack ready in about 1.5 minutes that does the trick!

Your mileage may vary, but given how long I've suffered with the low-cal/satisfying snack dilemma, myself, maybe this will help someone.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:29 pm

Eden...that is a great idea. I haven't had a Boca Burger in a few yrs...but I remember they were pretty good. And at 70 cal per burger, I wouldn't feel bad at all (especially since that is the equivalent of 2 rice cakes!) Thanks for the idea!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:32 pm

Boca seems to be pretty popular, but there's a flavor in all their products which puts me off. Don't know what it is, but it's consistent across their line and sends me running toward Morningstar Farms or Quorn if I need some cow substitute.
no avatar
User

Eden B.

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:35 pm

by Eden B. » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:19 am

I like the Qworn (only the plain "cutlets") for other purposes - my favorite use is in a vegetarian b'stilla that is absolutely equally as wonderful as the poultry version. MF... haven't had in years. Any product, in particular?
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:28 am

Bisteeya with Quorn (Qworn? I can never remember) seems like a very obvious idea and I'm kicking myself for not thinking of it...

With the caveat that, yes, it's industrial junk food, my favorite MS product is their Grillers Original. Jimi eats them three-four times a week and loves them (despite his strong carnivorous leanings). I avoid the flavored products- if I want my Soylent Green to have the flavor of tomato and basil, I'll use tomato and basil.