Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Provencal Vegetable Torte

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RCP: Provencal Vegetable Torte

by Jenise » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:45 pm

I used a Cooks Illustrated recipe for a basis for this finely stratified bit of savory goodness, but as usual went off on my own riff: I was going to a syrah tasting and wanted to provide a course that would provide a seamless marriage of wine and food. It fired on every cylinder and I have three requests for the recipe.

This recipe's for one, but in fact I made two figuring that the hour and a half of prep time warranted doubling the results of my efforts. So there you are, warned and all: this isn't for the work-averse. But the results are so worth it: you will have a beautifully seasoned, layered pie of many colors. The prep time is required because each vegetable has to be both pre-cooked and relieved of it's natural moisture--moist vegetables would result in a soup, not a pie.

For the vegetables you will need:

3 lbs eggplant (about 3 medium)
2 lbs zucchini (about 4)
3 red or yellow or orange bell peppers
2 beefsteak tomatoes
lots of olive oil
1 roll of paper towels
Lots of kosher salt
About one cup parmesan, gruyere or other sharp, melting cheese

For the custard you will need:

3 large eggs
1/3 c heavy cream
2 tsps dry herbs de provence
2 tblsp lemon juice
1 whole head of garlic
coarse ground black pepper

For the crust you will need:

2 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
5 tblsp butter, melted
2/3 c parmesan gruyere or other sharp melting cheese

To prepare the vegetables:

1. Eggplant: Preheat oven to 450. Cut off stem end and slice lengthwise into 1/2" slices, salt generously and leave in colander to drain for about 30 minutes. Press between paper towels, spray or brush with oil, and place in single layer on rack in rimmed cookie sheet. Bake for 30-40 minutes, turning once, until eggplant browns lightly and becomes soft to the touch. Remove, cool, and press between paper towels lightly, if needed, to remove further moisture.

2. Garlic (for custard): trim off the top of the whole bulb, drizzle with olive oil and put in the oven to roast with the other vegetables. When soft, remove garlic cloves from their skins and mash in the bottom of the bowl you'll make the custard in.

3. Bell Peppers: Cut each pepper into three or four big slices, toss with EVOO and roast, flesh side down, until the skins turns brown and blistered, about 30 minutes. Remove from oven, gather into a pile, and place a piece over foil or a lid over the pile to help steam off the skins. Remove skins before using. When the bell peppers are done, reduce oven to 375.

4. Zucchini: Slice into 1/4" slices and salt generously. Leave in a colander to drain for about 30 minutes. Squeeze as much water as you can out of the zucchini and layer in a microwave safe baking dish. Put several layers of paper towels on the bottom and build up layers of zucchini and paper towels. Put another heavy baking dish on top to press the vegetables. Microwave for ten minutes, until steaming. Let cool, pressing between paper towels to remove more moisture.

5. Tomatoes: Cut in thin slices and salt. Place on paper towels to drain, and put another layer on top to wick up more moisture. After about 20 minutes, press gently to remove moisture.

6. Prepare the custard by adding the remaining ingredients to the smooshed garlic.

7. Make the crust by placing all the ingredients in a food processor and blending. Reserve about 1/4 cup for a topping. Add half the rest to a butter-greased 9" springform pan by placing half the mixture in the bottom and pressing into place with the bottom of a cup. Tilt the pan and press the remaining into place around the sides.

8. To assemble: start with a layer of eggplant. Cover the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle with about 2 tblps of cheese, then add a layer of zucchini, 2 more tblsps of cheese, another layer of eggplant, then cheese, then all the bell peppers. At this point add half the custard, tilting the pan if needed to spread the custard about. Then resume layering. When all the vegetables are used, pour over the remaining custard and then top with the tomatoes, overlapping them around the outer edge and finally filling in the middle. Sprinkle with more course ground pepper and the reserved bread crumbs.

9. Bake: Set torte on baking sheet and bake on the lower-middle rack until tomatoes are dry, the breadcrumbs are golden brown, the custard has set, and the torte has an internal temperature of about 175 degrees, about 60-70 minutes. Cool the torte about ten minutes, then run a knife around the edge to loosen the torte from the outer form and release.
Allow torte to finish cooling on the form plate, then remove by using a long-bladed knife to separate and spatulas to remove to a large plate.

Serve at room temperature.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: RCP: Provencal Vegetable Torte

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:02 pm

Wow, this sounds delicious, Jenise! I'm going to make this next weekend.

Thanks for posting!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:17 pm

Cynthia, you'll love the flavor, and as a textile artist you'll enjoy the tactile side of putting this dish together. It definitely has that 'food art' feel--I really enjoyed making it.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:29 pm

One could almost call it a ...vegetable terrine.... :D
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:13 am

Bill, I thought of that! Shall I bring the leftovers? :lol:

(Speaking of leftovers, an addendum to the recipe: the extra torte was very good on Sunday, but the one consumed the day it was baked was clearly superior. This is not a make-ahead dish!)
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:50 am

Jenise wrote:Bill, I thought of that! Shall I bring the leftovers? :lol:

A strata is also a layered dish similar to a terrine - it would fit.

I look forward to seeing what else you come up with, though. Hoping for favorable weather!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:57 am

A strata? Yes, but typically a strata's looser. Unlike me. Ahem. :) I think torte's a better description. Or take out the Herbs de Provence and insert basil, then call it 'torta'.

I'm heading to Seattle today to bring home a bazillion ingredients all of which are going to become terrines. The finalist shall reappear on Saturday. And you know me--there won't be just one thing on the plate. Remember the endive tarte tatin? Well, this year I'm serving another vegetable pastry. But, should I tell you? Maybe it should be a surprise.