Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Footloose in Seattle

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Footloose in Seattle

by Jenise » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:50 pm

Yesterday I had to take my Murano down to Burlington for an oil change, and from where I live once one's gone that far it makes perfect sense to keep going and spend the day in Seattle.

First stop was Pike's Place Market. I decided to spend the whole two hours my parking place in front of Pike & Western Wine Shop would be good for, but then the credit card slot on the meter was jammed so all I could buy with the change I had on me was 42 minutes. I decided to settle for that and headed for the great Italian deli and nearby seafood shop that are there, diving into the heavenly smelling Piroshky shop where they sell every combination of meat and vegetable filling you can imagine, each in it's own uniquely shaped pocket of crust. I chose sauerkraut and carrot, but was disappointed when it turned out the carrot should have been listed first. The intense, sour character I was looking for just wasn't there. I ate the middle and threw the rest away.

At the next block, I spied a Sur La Table a few doors up, and decided to go there. Parchment was on my shopping list, and they'd have it. This didn't look like the only other Sur La Table I know, the one I used to go to in tony Newport Beach, California. This did not have that sterile, foo-foo, chain-store, cooking-stuff-for-trophy-wives feel I remember. Far from it, it had that been-there-forever, almost-imploding indie look--all kinds of esoteric, you've-never-seen-it-anywhere-else cooking stuff crammed floor to ceiling, spilling out of corners, no inch wasted. It wasn't planned, it just grew.

Like, there was a whole corner full of stuff for pastry. I'm not a baker, but the shelf of pastry bags was mesmerizing. I didn't know there were that many different tips.

I instantly bonded with a small springform bundt pan I could imagine making beautiful summer aspic salads in and several other molds, including this old French tall rectangular mold that you have to build: it has a bottom, two hinged side pieces that would press chevrons into your pate, and two key-pegs that secure the sides together. It was a springform pan of sorts, I guess, pre-clasp. They only had one and it was, horrors, $79, but everything else was at least $30 and it was an obvious replica of something centuries old and unlike anything I've ever seen before, and I just had to have it. And because I have it I'll think of things to make that wouldn't have been possible without such a piece in my armory. In the world of garde manger, sometimes you DO have to put the cart before the horse.

When I checked out, I asked if by any chance this was the original Sur La Table. Indeed it was! Well, at another location across the street it was, but yes, this store was the original. I had no previous knowledge of it being a Washington operation, but looking around me--it just had to be. What a great store.

And there went 40 of my 42 minutes, so I shot back over to Pike & Western wine shop to pick up the Woodward Canyon Dolcettos they'd set aside for me last week (for our neighborhood wine tasting Friday night), and then I headed south from downtown to Garagiste to pick up a few things I'd ordered over the last few months.

Those of you who have never been to this legendary wine retailer, but who know of it, would not believe the way this place looks from the street. It's in this old industrial area by the railroad tracks in an incomplete-looking warehouse building where Tyvek sheeting and 2 x 4's face the road--and have for the three years I've been familiar with it. There's no sign of an office. There's just, if you know where to look and if you don't you won't see it, a door that doesn't even look permanent. Once inside, if you know where to look there's another door, and inside that is the real Garagiste, the original unfinished warehouse space with one side room into which Jon and Niki are tucked when they're there, and boxes of wine ten feet high as far as you can see. The extent to which their operations have expanded is obvious because the outer area is now air conditioned and as chock-full of wine boxes as the inner area. I picked up my two boxes and was on my way in minutes.

From there, I was on my way north to the neighborhood of Shoreline, a neighborhood north of Seattle but south of Everett and east of Edmunds where a big rambling supermarket called Central Market is located amid the mist and the particularly tall and dense trees of this area. This is Washington state as most people picture it, the snow-falling-from-cedars look. Though now independent, this market (and two others like it in this state) was built by the HEB people who still own and operate stores by the same name in Texas where this forum's own Robert J. works. Notably, it has the most amazing produce, meat and seafood sections of any store around. They have EVERYTHING. None will be as pretty on average as the magazine-cover perfect food you will find for the hoitie toities over at Whole Foods Market in Bellevue, but they'll be ethnically further-ranging, cost far less and probably taste twice as good.

There I bought fresh wild gulf shrimp, fresh sea scallops, and fresh ahi out of which I made a cold dinner (with our last bottle of 99 St. Innocent bubbly, we had seared scallops with ponzu sauce, ahi sashimi w/sesame and green onion dressing, and boiled shrimp) when I got home. I also bought bunches of fresh mizuna and fresh chrysanthemum leaves, fresh turmeric root, several bundles of gailan, flowering bok choy buds, rainbow red kale, golden chives, 5 lbs of green tomatoes to ripen, and 20 lbs of heirloom tomatoes, all things I'm unlikely to find here at home.

From the deli counter I bought a three-foot long skinny whole handmade salami from one of California's artisan producers and a pound of Jamon Serano, a treat I can't get at home and can never pass up when I visit this store. The people working the deli counter were middle aged men in the kind of white lab coats butchers wear. I had two of them taking care of my order, since there were no other customers. "Say," said Salami Man to the other, "why don't we give her 10% off?" "I think that's a great idea," said the other, "after all, she bought the whole salami." They started deducting. "There, we support you," said one, handing me my meat with a proud look. I guess I had that wary, what's going on here, look on my face. "Your shirt," the other one offered.

I looked down and read my shirt for the first time. I bought it at a local fishing supply store last week because it was a good color of pale green, had one of those hand warmer pouches, and was on sale. I paid zero attention to the print. It had a fish on it, that was all I'd noticed. But reading it now, their comments--and some comments made earlier at the Pike & Western wine shop--made sense. SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL HOOKER.

And from the dry goods areas, whose ethnic aisles are almost stand-alone well-stocked Mexican and Asian stores unto themselves, I stocked up on panko, sushi rice, handmade corn tortillas and Vietnamese Sriricha red chile sauce, which up here in funky-but-white-bread Bellingham I have only found once, and that was inexplicably at a Walgreen's Pharmacy. Lightning like that doesn't strike twice.

Two more wine stops for the rest of the goods needed for Friday night's wine tasting, and ten hours, 250 miles, and $1152 later, I arrived back home.

I love days like that.
Last edited by Jenise on Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: Footloose in Seattle

by Carl Eppig » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:07 pm

All I can say is, Yum!
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:37 pm

funky-but-white-bread Bellingham

ouch! (The truth hurts.)

I love that Seattle run. Sur La Table is crammed packed with cool things. I always hit Ujimaya on the way from Garagiste for fresh duck, mizuna and other Japanese products. Ever been there?

If you haven't discovered it, the Mediterranean Cafe on 32nd St in B'ham has a great selection of things I'm pretty sure you would like. Lebanese olive oils, Israeli cous cous, Ligurean pastas, and currently 3 vintages of Chateau Musar! The 2 sisters who own the place are excellent chefs also, they make a stuffed tomato that is killer. A little slice of ethnicity right here in Wonderbreadville.

I hope you can post a note on the Woodword Canyon dolcetto, very curious about that one.
Marc Davis
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:43 am

Jenise wrote:250 miles, and $1152 later...

Gas really has gotten expensive huh.. :D
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:06 am

I liked Bellingham the one time I went thru it. Got a pretty good burger at one place there, and watched a nice sunset. That same day, I had lunch in a cafe in LaConner. I had wet-smoked salmon pizza. I remember thinking (this was in 2000) they must have just passed it thru the smoke once, because it sure didn't seem smoked to me!

I have been to Pike Place Market twice, and absolutely loved it both times! Had to refrain myself from buying anything more than I could eat on picnics that day or could be carried back on the plane (i.e. jars of honeys and jellies), and one nice sized fresh salmon that was so expertly and quickly reduced to fillets and packed in dry ice for the trip back to Chattanooga. I have hopes of moving to Coastal Washington someday, but it will be a while.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:17 am

Welcome to the community, Jenise. The next time you crawl through, you may want to include a visit to Pete's Market to look at their wine selections (they boast 1,000 labels from around the world -- at world class low prices), and check out the Spanish Table and the World Spice Merchants just below the Pike Place Market. I think you will not be disappointed!
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:59 am

Jo Ann wrote:<b>Jo Ann</b>
Wine Geek

Hey, Jo Ann! Did part of your user name fall off? With rare exceptions enshrined in ancient tradition (like "Jenise") our forum rules require using your real first name and last name, or as an absolute minimum, first name and last initial for the shy. First-name only is a little too close to anonymity for my comfort zone. Mind putting your last name back on, or at least your last initial? I'll do it for you if you prefer.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:47 am

What a perfect day, Jenise! I love spending time just like that.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:38 pm

Marc D wrote:ouch! (The truth hurts.)[/unquote]

It's true. But it's not xenophobic or subtly intolerant the way it is in some communities, quite the opposite. Bellingham embraces diversity. It just collectively doesn't have an adventurous or experienced palate. One only has to look at the general level of Chinese food here. There are probably ten restaurants, but have you found one that's competent? I haven't. It's all fried and super-sweet. Not just in the take-outs, but in the restaurants, too. Bob and I went to that one that's vaguely in front of Costco one day, and we had a choice of six lunch entrees. Though the names were standard and familiar dishes, the interpretation of each turned out to be one big hunk of fried meat with a little extra something to qualify the flavors. And of course, they were sweet.... It amazes me that the situation is so bad, what with Seattle and Richmond so close. I grew up in a white bread town (Whittier, California) with only one Chinese restaurant to it's name, and it was far more authentic than anything we have here.

I love that Seattle run. Sur La Table is crammed packed with cool things. I always hit Ujimaya on the way from Garagiste for fresh duck, mizuna and other Japanese products. Ever been there?

This is probalby the first time I've gone to Garagiste without stopping at Ujimaya on the way home. Love that place. I just didn't have the time.

If you haven't discovered it, the Mediterranean Cafe on 32nd St in B'ham has a great selection of things I'm pretty sure you would like.

I love that store. Made a point of dropping in after you recommended it, in fact, and of course it's exactly my kind of place. Love those women! During the recent Lebanese-Israeli conflict I made a point of dropping in for a group hug, some tears, and some Musar.

I hope you can post a note on the Woodword Canyon dolcetto, very curious about that one.

I bought an extra bottle which we opened last night. Can't say I'm wild about it--very vinegary/VA nose, and quite grapey. I saved some to retaste today, hopefully it settled down over night.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:52 pm

Robert R. wrote:I liked Bellingham the one time I went thru it...I have hopes of moving to Coastal Washington someday, but it will be a while.

Well, if you decide to make that move, I know Marc and I would both recomend Bellingham where, coincidentally, we both live. It's a wonderful town. Sunday we went crabbing with friends in Bellingham Bay. Monday we grilled salmon and pork chops for dinner with friends over on Sucia Island. And while we were playing on the water, Marc D was up hiking at the base of Mt. Baker. And all of this is less than an hour away by car or boat.

Jo Ann, I know Pete's Market well. I talk to the owner, George, by phone frequently, and he sends wine up to me via a mutual friend. It's everything you say. The Spanish Table I also know, and it would have been a stop had I been able to spend the original two hours I'd originally planned at Pike's. But by the time my 40 minutes was up, I knew I was better off just moving on. There were some things I just had to come home with, and I wanted to clear Everett before 4:00 lest I spend the entire evening on I-5.
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:30 pm

...but have you found one that's competent?

hmm, nope. When I visit my parents in Philly, they have much better Chinese restaurants than B'ham

Richmond OTOH, wow. I think you would have to travel to Hong Kong to do better. I have a friend I work with from Taiwan who speaks Mandarin and Cantonese. He keeps promising to take me to #3 Road for a real Chinese food experience.

I knew you would like those Lebanese sisters. You guys share the love of real food.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:54 pm

Marc D wrote:Richmond OTOH, wow. I think you would have to travel to Hong Kong to do better. I have a friend I work with from Taiwan who speaks Mandarin and Cantonese. He keeps promising to take me to #3 Road for a real Chinese food experience.

No. 3 Road is definitely the place. I've been to many a great restaurant there and found some wonderful places to shop for ingredients. Had the best dim sum lunch there not long ago, amazing food. Many a former Hong Kong Chinese has said the Richmond food is better than home. You should not let your friend rest until he takes you--sure, you can go on your own and have great food, but the language is huge and the concept/knowledge barrier even larger--from American Chinese food, we don't know what or how to order so out of ignorance we might not end up with some of the truly mind-blowing stuff. English is not commonly spoken, so there often is no way to bridge the gap unless you have a guide.
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:07 pm

Have any of y'all been to a P.F. Chang's? There's one in Tulsa, and 3 in the Atlanta area. The best Chinese restaurants I've ever been to, and a thousand times better than the buffett joints around every corner here.
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:17 pm

Robert R. wrote:Have any of y'all been to a P.F. Chang's? There's one in Tulsa, and 3 in the Atlanta area. The best Chinese restaurants I've ever been to, and a thousand times better than the buffett joints around every corner here.

There's one in Greensboro. We had lunch there a while back and thought it was very nice. I think we shared the "Chang's spicy chicken".

You can check out their menu here.
http://www.pfchangs.com/cuisine/menu_main.jsp
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:38 pm

Robert R. wrote:Have any of y'all been to a P.F. Chang's? There's one in Tulsa, and 3 in the Atlanta area. The best Chinese restaurants I've ever been to, and a thousand times better than the buffet joints around every corner here.

PF Chang's is very good. Surprisingly good for a chain restaurant (which, be warned, I avoid like plagues), and you can do a LOT worse than to eat delicious, yuppified American Chinese food in a snazzy setting with good wines by the glass. If we had one in my town, I'd be quite glad. But it's still yuppified American Chinese food and not the ethnic experience that I grew up on and that, for the most part, I crave.

Buffets? That's not Chinese. They may be owned and run by people of Asian descent but I've never seen one that wasn't junk expressly designed for undiscriminating, non-Chinese overeaters.
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:54 pm

Jenise wrote:Buffets? That's not Chinese. They may be owned and run by people of Asian descent but I've never seen one that wasn't junk expressly designed for undiscriminating, non-Chinese overeaters.

I detest buffets of all kinds anymore, and that includes the Western Sizzlin' type of steakhouses that plague this nation. It wasn't until I was an adult that I say them as the shams they really are, cheap - yes, plenty of food - yes, but then so is a gallon can of Beanie-Weenies. that doesn't qualify as good food to me now! :roll:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:33 pm

Robert R. wrote:
Jenise wrote:Buffets? That's not Chinese. They may be owned and run by people of Asian descent but I've never seen one that wasn't junk expressly designed for undiscriminating, non-Chinese overeaters.

I detest buffets of all kinds anymore, and that includes the Western Sizzlin' type of steakhouses that plague this nation. It wasn't until I was an adult that I say them as the shams they really are, cheap - yes, plenty of food - yes, but then so is a gallon can of Beanie-Weenies. that doesn't qualify as good food to me now! :roll:

Aw come on, someone saw you at Luby's Cafeteria just last weekend. :)
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:40 pm

Jenise,

Wonderful story!! I really enjoyed it...you are such a great writer...I always love your posts. I really had to LOL over the shirt...too funny! Hope you enjoy all your purchases. Thanks for the good read!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:21 pm

Great post, Jenise. You brought back some great memories of when I lived in Seattle/Belleview and made very regular runs to Pike Place and the other areas you mentioned.

I am so glad to hear the piroshky place is still there! That place is extraordinary; I could never resist it when we strolled past. In addition to the piroshki they had the most incredible cardamom-laced sweet rolls, almost like sticky buns. That and a cup of coffee from that tiny little coffee shop almost next door---the name escapes me right now, but it was an unusual moniker---and the day was perfect.

Michael still at P&W?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:57 pm

Hoke, my visits to P & W are too few and far between to know the names of anyone who works there. I could describe two of the guys, and that would be about it, and only one of them was old enough to have been around a long time. He was thin with lots of dark hair, not long but longish, graying at the temples, glasses. Agewise, around 50. Looked a bit like a bookish George Harrison, I was almost surprised when he spoke and didn't have an English accent.

Yes, the piroshky shop is still there, smelling wonderful and feeding people who are content to wait in lines that go pretty fast.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:52 pm

I believe you just descfribed Michael at P &W. He's the Head Poobah there.
no avatar
User

MtBakerDave

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:53 pm

Seattle

by MtBakerDave » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:59 pm

Love those Piroshkies! When I'm down at Pike Place, I usually start with a piroshkie and follow it with an croissant amandine at Le Panier. They have the most wonderful French pastries - certainly the only ones I've had around here that hold a candle to the Parisian version.

Dave
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:19 pm

MtBakerDave wrote:Love those Piroshkies! When I'm down at Pike Place, I usually start with a piroshkie and follow it with an croissant amandine at Le Panier. They have the most wonderful French pastries - certainly the only ones I've had around here that hold a candle to the Parisian version.

Dave

Croissant amandine at Le Panier? Oh dear. I haven't discovered Le Panier yet, but where I do not have a sweet tooth I have a weakness for that kind of pastry and dread finding a good bakery. Speaking of which, best croissant I ever had? Oddly enough, not in Paris, but Melbourne, Australia.