Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Community Supported Agriculture (CSA)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Community Supported Agriculture (CSA)

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:31 am

Some friends on a food and wine e-mail discussion list I've been involved with for well over a decade (I think it's nearly 15 years already!) were discussing the various CSA opportunities in their local areas.

One that we have here in Santa Fe seems to be quite a bit different than the rest.

You decide what dollar amount you want to put in at the beginning of the year, and then receive credit for that amount of produce... they have vegetables, fruit, herbs, flowers, and honey. You stop by their booth at the Farmer's Market, select anything you like, and they deduct the market value from your earlier payment.

I like it because it solves the problem of receiving too much at any one time, or too much of any particular item. Their prices are very competitive with the rest of the farmers at the market too, and they will roll over the unspent amount to the following year if you don't use it all.

I usually have a vegetable/herb garden, but with limited space and free time I can't generate the wide variety of produce that the farm can.

What CSA opportunities exist where you live?
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: Community Supported Agriculture (CSA)

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:07 am

I know there are quite a few available in this area but the only one I subscribe to is done by one of my co-workers. She has 5 acres that she and her husband farm and she also trades with other growers in her area. I get a bucket of whatever she has handy each week for $10. In some ways, it's what you expect from a small operation (we are still trying to figure out what to do with all of the squash). But she also comes up with some very interesting items. We're currently getting some radishes that look like string beans and which are quite tasty. Overall, I'm happy enough with it to keep going. Plus I like my co-worker and feel good about supporting her.

I can definitely see the benefits of paying in and then picking up what you want at the market, though!
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Community Supported Agriculture (CSA)

by Robin Garr » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:38 am

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:What CSA opportunities exist where you live?

CSA is strong here, perhaps because a couple of regional nonprofits (Kentuckians for the Commonwealth and others) were significant participants in the national movement to develop CSA back in the '90s. Farmers' markets are also very big in Louisville, and it goes together to some extent. Some of the vendors at the most popular markets also do CSA and take advantage of the market crowds to promote and sell shares.

I've never heard of the new twist you mentioned, though, but it wouldn't surprise me if the idea catches fire. I've never participated in a CSA, even though I'm a regular at a couple of the local farmers' markets, mainly because a whole box a week really just doesn't work for a family of two, particularly "foodies" who like to shop often (and also have our own garden). But the option to draw down a "credit card" over the season in a form more like regular shopping? I'd give that a try, and if I didn't spend it all, wouldn't feel bad about leaving the change as a contribution of support.