Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Vinaigrettes: Talk to me!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

Vinaigrettes: Talk to me!

by Gary Barlettano » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:48 pm

When I make a vinaigrette, I generally go with something like one part acid, three parts oil, a blob of mustard, salt, pepper, and if I'm feeling kinky, I'll rub the side of the mixing container with a chunk of garlic and then toss that chunk in. Of course, there are tons of variations.

Today I was reading around about vinaigrettes, looking for ideas and proporitions, and found the comment that the more acid you use, the more salt is needed to balance the emulsion.

Your experience on that comment and any other vinaigretty comments would be appreciated muchly.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

Re: Vinaigrettes: Talk to me!

by Linda R. (NC) » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:16 pm

Gary Barlettano wrote:When I make a vinaigrette, I generally go with something like one part acid, three parts oil, a blob of mustard, salt, pepper, and if I'm feeling kinky, I'll rub the side of the mixing container with a chunk of garlic and then toss that chunk in. Of course, there are tons of variations.

Today I was reading around about vinaigrettes, looking for ideas and proporitions, and found the comment that the more acid you use, the more salt is needed to balance the emulsion.

Your experience on that comment and any other vinaigretty comments would be appreciated muchly.

Very little personal experience, but here is a recent article on vinaigrettes from our newspaper.

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSJ/MGArticle/WSJ_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1173351493786
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

Re: Vinaigrettes: Talk to me!

by Jo Ann Henderson » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:28 am

Interesting that you should raise this question. I just returned from a week at cooking school with Kasma Loha-unchit. In addition to learning approx 50 exceptional Thai recipes, the one thing I walked away with is how to balance flavors. Specifically, how to balance the sweet, sour, salt ingredients to maximize the character of each. When using acids, it will not only require salt, but also sugar to give you a pathway to the exact note you are looking for to make your recipe sing. I make vinegarettes all the time. I've noticed that I get much better lift in my emulsions when I add salt and sugar, and together, they give a little more vibrancy to my herbs. Kasma had us taste our ingredients step-by-step. Many of us were sure that she was adding too much sugar to our sauces, marinades and pastes. But, quite the contrary! We tasted after the inclusion of more of one ingredient or another. The addition of a bit more salt or sugar would bring out the character of the lime or pick up the character of the coconut, without imparting an overpowering salty or sugary flavor. It was like magic. But your question is about emulsion. I have no scientific evidence, but my anecdotal experience is that, yes, your vinegarette will have better result in marrying the oil and wet ingredients into a more silky texture with the addition of a bit more salt and a pinch of sugar. Good luck!
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon