Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Shedding pounds

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

Shedding pounds

by Thomas » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:30 pm

A few months ago, with the help of a physical check up, I decided the time had come to halt the direction in which my weight was going.

I also could not figure out what it was, other than age, that made me gain weight. I have exercised and eaten in the same general patterns for many years. So, I went on a dietary experiment and I may have discovered the problem.

I have not had a pasta dish since April, nor have I eaten my usual morning muffin of oat bran, whole wheat flour, butter, yogurt, honey, and eggs, exchanging it for oatmeal with fruit and maple syrup.

Those are the only changes I made and I've shed ten pounds.

I believe my problem was the hefty portions of pasta that I used to eat, at least twice a week. I miss it, but not so much.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Shedding pounds

by Robin Garr » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:21 pm

Thomas wrote:I have not had a pasta dish since April

All other things being equal, I think I'd rather be portly and have my pasta. And I'm only <i>part</i> Italian.

(Wagging finger in shame)
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:51 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Thomas wrote:I have not had a pasta dish since April

All other things being equal, I think I'd rather be portly and have my pasta. And I'm only <i>part</i> Italian.

(Wagging finger in shame)

Believe me, it's a continuing struggle. But being a writer, I haven't the income to buy new clothes...are bell bottoms ok again? I can fit into mine now!
Last edited by Thomas on Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:57 pm

It's a sad fact of life, but the energy balance doesn't work as well later in life. No Italian whatsoever in my genes, but I am NOT going to give up pasta or pizza- it just means an extra half-hour per day added to my workout after my 50th birthday.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:13 pm

I find cheap carbs of any kind keep this calf fatted and ready for market, especially pasta, pizza, and bread. If I lay off of them, I can lose weight and feel energized ... provided I don't pig out in the sugar or fat direction.

I also find that pasta, pizza, and bread goop up my GI tract. And, boy, do I get sleepy, Alvarado, when I eat more than a minimal amount. It takes several hours of heart-pumping exercise to counter the effect even a little.

Despite what the Pope has recently decided about Purgatory, my love for refined flour products and their negative impact on my digestion and metabolism has kept me there for as long as I have lived.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:31 pm

boy, do I get sleepy, Alvarado

It's the reds and yellows you've been shooting, Pico.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:42 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:

... and now the rumors behind the news ...
And now what?
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:51 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:

Stuart,

I spend a lot of time wondering how much esoterica fits into your head ;)
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:46 pm

Well, you DID recognize it.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:25 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Well, you DID recognize it.

I already know how much esoterica fits in my head...
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:48 pm

Thomas, you may remember my thread upon returning to the forum after a brief hiatus. Since my physical, diagnosis, and subsequent changes in diet and exercise I have transformed profoundly.

I had my latest physical checkup the other day. I have lost 30 pounds since February and brought my cholesterol down to 149 from 222. My blood pressure is usually between 93/49 and 112/60 depending on when it is checked.

My sweet tooth is sated with fruit these days (more often than not). I don't eat as much bread or pasta (just smaller portions) and take in much less sat. fat. I try and limit my cholesterol intake to <200mg/day. If I have a meat protein one day I will only have one serving that does not exceed 4oz.

I also exercise 3 times per week, more if I can.

Good going, Thomas!

rwj
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:04 pm

Robert J. wrote:Thomas, you may remember my thread upon returning to the forum after a brief hiatus. Since my physical, diagnosis, and subsequent changes in diet and exercise I have transformed profoundly.

I had my latest physical checkup the other day. I have lost 30 pounds since February and brought my cholesterol down to 149 from 222. My blood pressure is usually between 93/49 and 112/60 depending on when it is checked.

My sweet tooth is sated with fruit these days (more often than not). I don't eat as much bread or pasta (just smaller portions) and take in much less sat. fat. I try and limit my cholesterol intake to <200mg/day. If I have a meat protein one day I will only have one serving that does not exceed 4oz.

I also exercise 3 times per week, more if I can.

Good going, Thomas!

rwj

You know, Robert, I hardly ate in an unhealthy way for most my life, with the possible exception of too much saturated fat meats, which I lessened a while back.

And I've been a mover, too...3 miles a day walking minimum--usually more. I take the stairs over an elevator whenever I can (Robin may remember me complaining that I could not find the stairway in a hotel in Syracuse last month).

Until three years ago, I never weighed more than 150 pounds (only 5 ft 7 inches short) and for most of my life I weighed between 130 and 145 pounds. But, soon after turning 55, a slowing metabolism made itself known, and it did it by way of carbohydrates like bread and pasta.

Funny thing, all my weight gain went to my gut--all of it. These skinny legs started to have trouble holding up what came perilously close to 170 pounds (169 to be exact).

I am down to 159 now and I aim for 145.

Lucky me, for most of my life, I've not harbored one sweet tooth. Not that I never eat sweets, just that I never crave sweets and I hardly even think about it. I don't add salt to my food--except for French fries, which I have had to cut back on too (one of my weaknesses).

So, this Italian has to learn how to handle pasta better. One of my problems has been that when I eat it, I eat enough pasta for maybe three healthy portions. That has got to stop!
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:10 pm

Thomas wrote:One of my problems has been that when I eat it, I eat enough pasta for maybe three healthy portions. That has got to stop!

I think this is the key to enjoying pasta without having to pay too much in the way of consequences: When I went through a weight-watching period a few years ago, I got a kitchen scale and started measuring things. I learned that 2 ounces of pasta makes a good, reasonable dinner portion for one, but the first couple of times it sure didn't <i>look</i> like enough. If I eyeball it, I'll eat about 6 ounces in a portion, which is ... yup ... about triple what I need. Hmm.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:20 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Thomas wrote:One of my problems has been that when I eat it, I eat enough pasta for maybe three healthy portions. That has got to stop!

I think this is the key to enjoying pasta without having to pay too much in the way of consequences: When I went through a weight-watching period a few years ago, I got a kitchen scale and started measuring things. I learned that 2 ounces of pasta makes a good, reasonable dinner portion for one, but the first couple of times it sure didn't <i>look</i> like enough. If I eyeball it, I'll eat about 6 ounces in a portion, which is ... yup ... about triple what I need. Hmm.

Robin,

I once flung one of those scales across the kitchen. I was convinced it was not accurate. 2 ounces of pasta can't be that puny looking...

I'm one of those guys who laughs aloud in a supermarket at the so-called serving sizes printed on packages.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:36 pm

Best diet:

If it tastes good, spit it out.
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:39 pm

If I was in Larry's neck of the woods? ZAnd looking for a low calorie snack? I'd be snacking on fresh roasted green chiles w/ a dab of seasoned salt.

But, darn it...what do I do with this beer?

Richard
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:03 am

Randy R wrote:Ah the old shedding pounds thread. I knew it was here somewhere.

I just lost 10 pounds in the last month without ever feeling hungry. (The proper response is not "Congratulations!" but "Why ever would you do that?") Because it was there. Noting the references to pasta, I think I can add something to this other than sauce.

The way I lost the weight (we'll see if I can stay on my current habits regime) was to watch the quantities, yes, but also increase the fiber content of most things by eating whole grain pasta, bread and cereal. Of course I drink less wine and no more sweet drinks. I still have my cappucino, my nespresso, my cortado and my coffees with sugar usually. I had to cut out that walnut red pesto for a simple basilic sauce.

I changed my cheese eating from tons of fat cheeses like compté which I love, to thin slivers of aged gouda or compté, a trick I noticed at tastings. A sliver or two of this type of strong flavored cheese the size and thickness of a small wood shaving) is nothing in a daily diet. Roquefort works well, too. Spread it very thinly on a rye krisp or some nice but small slice of wheat bread or toast. And stop slathering anything on anything. Same goes for peanut butter. Like a lot of people I love fat stuff like that. The trick is to use a lot less.

I expect to reach fighting weight in a few weeks and keep it there until next August when the California offline season will make me gain about 15 pounds if the usual suspects come to cook. I'll be able to find this post in September 2008 by searching for the keyword I'm inserting here: FATISBADFORYOU.

Well, I was doing fine until I made a trip to Piemonte. Got to start all over...
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:55 pm

Travel works just the opposite for me - I always loose weight traveling. Even though I eat more I get much more physical activity.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Sharon S.

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:40 pm

Buckinghamshire, UK

by Sharon S. » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:12 pm

I definitely echo your fibre recommendation for carb-lovers Randy. :D

Apart from loving them, I couldn't survive without them (low blood pressure, pescetarian, exercise most days, and need lots of slow release energy!), but it's always wholemeal, wholegrain stuff. Wholemeal pasta (which IMO doesn't taste as bad as some have said elsewhere in the Forum Kitchen); wholemeal/granary bread; only crispy-skinned oven-baked jacket pots; porridge when having brunch...

But, thereagain, I like to snack on bran flakes dry instead of crisps, so maybe I'm a bit of an eccentric in this area! :lol:
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:27 pm

Sharon S. wrote: only crispy-skinned oven-baked jacket pots;

So what are 'jacket pots', Sharon?

Funny thing, I asked my British Literature teacher (when I was in college, and she was British) about this topic of British food names. I said, "We have studied Chaucer, Milton, Shakespeare, Blake, Bronte, and Yeats. All are clearly masters of the English language and some would argue that they have never been, and never will be, bested.

If the British can produce such masters of language, why then, do they have such trouble with naming their culinary concoctions? For instance, take the following: Bangers and Mash, Bubble and Squeak, Toad in the Hole, and my all-time favorite, Spotted Dick."

rwj
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:49 pm

Robert J. wrote:

If the British can produce such masters of language, why then, do they have such trouble with naming their culinary concoctions? For instance, take the following: Bangers and Mash, Bubble and Squeak, Toad in the Hole, and my all-time favorite, Spotted Dick."

rwj

Just lucky, I guess. I like all the funny names. What is it the Americans call that appalling concoction of marshmallows and sweet potato again ? :)

On the topic of food names, I was puzzling today over the term "extra virgin olive oil". Whilst I understand what it is, I've never understood why it's used. What is an "extra virgin" anyway ? A spare ? ("Oh, look master, I brought you a virgin, and an extra one for afters..." Darn, now I sound like Roscoe...hehe). Or is it like being "more perfect" ?

PS. Jacket pots = jacket potatoes, but you've probably got that figured by now.
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:04 pm

celia wrote: What is it the Americans call that appalling concoction of marshmallows and sweet potato again ? :)

You won't believe this, Celia, but we call it Marshmallow and Sweet Potato Casserole! Who would have thought?! And this awful concoction NEVER graces my table.

I love love love British food names, don't get me wrong. It's just kind of ironic.

rwj
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:48 pm

Well, not the demographic in the US where that monstrosity is popular. They're unlikely to be named Gonzalez, Rabinowitz, Singh, Wong, or Nguyen.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:08 am

Robert J. wrote:You won't believe this, Celia, but we call it Marshmallow and Sweet Potato Casserole! Who would have thought?! And this awful concoction NEVER graces my table.

I love love love British food names, don't get me wrong. It's just kind of ironic.

rwj

Really ? I was sure it had some strange name...my mistake..

No insight on the extra virgin ?
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
Next