Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Some thoughts after a trip to France and Italy

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Some thoughts after a trip to France and Italy

by Dale Williams » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:47 pm

Just back from a week in France (and 1 night in Italy). I don't think that makes me an expert on France or Italy, but I always like to post a few thoughts, that may or may not be useful if others do a search here. If I'm wrong, let me know!

Paris:
For a reasonably priced Paris hotel (100-140 euros), I'd suggest the St Louis Marais:
http://www.saintlouismarais.com/
Recommended by friends. Nice rooms, quiet street, but convenient to all.
Room was attractive,and fairly spacious. By French standards huge bathroom. We were on ground floor, but be aware if you're higher its a walkup. Wi-fi. Le Marais is almost stereotypical for the American traveler, but it is really convenient location- hotel is short walk to Bastille, Pompidou, Notre Dame, Ile de Cite, etc. Not so far to Louvre or Musee d'Orsay.

Things to See
My favorite thing about Paris remains just walking.

If you're there on a rainy day and think "hey, let's do a museum", be aware everyone else will. Louvre was much more crowded than when I was last there (sunny). As always, several hundred people pushing to see the Mona Lisa, while in adjacent room Raphaels, Caravaggios, and other great works were ignored. We found one room that was a "tactile gallery", and were able to touch a Michaelangelo "Slave." Pretty cool (lower ground floor of Denon wing, hardly anyone there). Do what you must, but seeing La Gioconda will take time that one might consider using elsewhere.

Musee Rodin -if raining, crowded, but most of best works are outdoors. We didn't do Orsay or Pompidou this time, but if I had to go to a museum on a rainy day based on past experiences I'd choose Pompidou, with less structured layout.

It's definitely worth checking if there are any special exhibits outside the big museums. One of the highlights of Paris for me this time was Anselm Kiefer "Monumenta- Falling Stars" installation at Grand Palais - best contemporary art I've ever seen, and probably never to be seen again (site specific).

Safety
I was very prepared for Paris pickpockets. I spent 2 years homeless in NYC, and think of myself as very street smart. But still was a victim. As we were on mostly empty RER to Paris at 8:30 on Sunday AM, I had suitcase in front of me and backpack beside me (I was on aisle, it was on window). A man from behind  grabbed my backpack and leaped off train at a suburban station (Sevran). I followed and caught door (another man held it as I went out), but he jumped onto tracks and into tunnel! Laptop, keys, etc. Luckily passport and wallet were in front pants pockets.

Paris Restaurants:
Bofinger was better and less touristy than I expected (though very cool period interior). More expensive than most brasseries, but still not bad by Paris restaurant standards. Choucroute was big portions (bratwurst, duck, smoked bacon on a mountain of sauerkraut) for 19 euros
Le Marocain in the Marais (Rue Fr. Miron)- good tagines and couscous, good merguez, reasonable for neighborhood. Tagines were about 12-14 euros
Bistrot Allard in Latin Quarter is under new ownership and back on their game. I started with escargot, Betsy with a salad of green beans and smoked duck; we then shared the poulet de Bresse with mushrooms and potatoes. Expensive for bistro, but far cheaper than L'Ami Louis or the like. 55 euros for the chicken/shrooms/potatoes for 2 isn't that bad considering quality (and quantity- huge).

Burgundy:
Don't let anyone tell you the Beaune Villages B&B is like a Motel 6/Comfort Inn. It was clean,. but decor was very "modern prison " We stayed out as late as possible each night before returning to Alcatraz.

Burgundy Food
There 2 kebab places on Rue Madeleine in Beaune. The one opposite Cave Madeleine serves the best doner/gyro/kebab sandwich I've ever had. Pita combined the best aspects of pita and pizza dough, meat (seemed to be veal, not lamb) was perfectly spiced, sauce great. Skip the fries.
We also thought Piqu'Boeuf, kind of a family/steak restaurant, suggested by Marc Dupin at Jadot, was a good value. I had eggs in red wine and a hunk of Charolais, Betsy beef bourguignon, David a Reblechon pizza. Good if not fancy.
I'd skip Le Cluny near the Hospice. Food was trying too hard, not a deal at half the price. Next time I make my Chez Guy, Ma Cuisine, La Chassagne reservations before I leave.

Liguria
Our "B&B" there was maybe the most beautful places I've ever stayed. 3 suites make up whole establishment (owners have separate house on property). On top of a mountain in the midst of an olive grove. Incredible views of the surrounding hills and down to the Mediterrean, flagstone terrace, flowers everywhere, the most gorgeous "infinity edge" pool, beautiful rooms:
http://www.san-damian.com/eng/sandamian.htm
Great buffet next morning (proscuitto, salami, cheeses, eggs, fruit, cereal, yogurt, coffee, tea, and real fresh OJ, which is really hard to get in Europe.
For 120 euros a night a great deal. Probably hour east of Nice airport, hour west of Genoa, 1.5 to 2 hours from Turin.

Agrodolce in Imperia was great innovative seafood. Our tasting menu included eggplant/pepper flan with mussels, a crudo of white fish (hake?) , baccala (best ever for me), calamari stuffed with buffalo mozzarella, clams in a squid ink with pasta, plus another white fish with couscous and fried leeks. Plus desserts, etc. We went through many (mostly local) wines, bill worked out to only 88 euros pp (hey, a lot for me, but compared to most tasting menus).

We had lunch coastal town of Bordighera-an old town up on the hillside with beautiul mosaic church steeples. There at Cafe Grimaldi Betsy had the local pesto specialty-on lasagna (very light, with one thin layer of proscuitto), David had basil/veal ravioli and I had calf liver. We also shared stuffed baked sardines and a salad.

Nice
Azur Hotel on Boulevard des Anglais was kind of typical funky old European hotel. Clean, decent sized room. Great view straight out to Mediterrean, cross boulevard to the beach. It's at end of main beach section, so not that close if you want to walk to harbor/city center area. 85 a night.

Zucca Magica in harbor is good Italian-influenced vegetarian cuisine. I'd wouldn't recommend for picky eaters, as it is just one set menu (I think 30 euros), You sit down, courses start coming. Funky squash/pumpkin decor.

We really enjoyed the small, light-filled, and excellent Chagall museum.

Driving
Other than high fuel costs, driving in France is pretty pleasant. Roads well marked (even tell you re speed cameras), careful drivers, wide roads. I enjoyed both Autoroute and backroads in Burgundy, and even Paris. Be prepared for lots of tolls. Italy also had good roads (and we loved the automated toll machines saying "arrivederci"). I will say tailgating is unbelievably prevalent in Italy.
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

Re: Some thoughts after a trip to France and Italy

by Keith M » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:54 pm

Dale Williams wrote:I always like to post a few thoughts, that may or may not be useful if others do a search here.

Superb report, Dale, thanks for taking the time to write it up. Lots of very useful information--it's always great to have first-hand reports for restaurants. Sounds like you had a great trip . . . well, besides the laptop incident, grrrr.
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:05 pm

I avoid the RER for just the reason you noted -- sorry it had to happen. We land at CDG, immediately grab a taxi straight to the hotel, put on a money belt, and set out doing just what you like to do -- walk the streets of Paris. I hope the incident did not dampen your spirits.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:07 am

Dale Williams wrote:I always like to post a few thoughts, that may or may not be useful if others do a search here.

For those of us living vicariously, it was indeed useful! Thanks for the report, Dale. (Sorry about your bag/laptop being stolen. :()
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:13 am

Randy Buckner wrote:I avoid the RER for just the reason you noted -- sorry it had to happen. We land at CDG, immediately grab a taxi straight to the hotel, put on a money belt, and set out doing just what you like to do -- walk the streets of Paris. I hope the incident did not dampen your spirits.

Actually, a French friend just told me of his mother landing at CDG and taking taxi to city. In stalled traffic on way in, a motorcyclist smashed cab window and made off with her purse!

While the other passengers on RER held door as I pursued, and were very apologetic afterwards, I must say the police were not especially impressive. About 2-3 stops later 4 cops got on board. French woman on board explained what happened (my French is very rudimentary), the one policewoman with some English told me where I could file a report. No notes, no radio (each carried), etc.
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:24 am

I must say the police were not especially impressive. About 2-3 stops later 4 cops got on board. French woman on board explained what happened (my French is very rudimentary), the one policewoman with some English told me where I could file a report. No notes, no radio (each carried), etc.

Kinda like Washington police with stolen cars. They have so many stolen that when a friend reported his car was missing, the first thing they asked was whether he had insurance. :roll: :roll: