Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Purple bean report

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

Purple bean report

by Christina Georgina » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:55 am

Picking long, slim purple beans from the garden this week. A seed that I tried from Nichol's Garden Catalog - one of about a dozen offerings.
Of course they turn green when steamed but a dark, dense purplish green.
They have a wonderful, rich, almost meaty flavor. Have used them sucessfully steamed, dressed with garlic, evoo and purple basil; steamed in a cold salad plate; cooked in a minnestroni type stew of garden fresh onion, pepper, zucchini, tomato with lots of garlic, parsley and basil.
Very nice and highly recommended for a change of taste.
There were so many different beans offered that I will probably try 2 different varieties next year. Their Romano offering is vining like crazy but few blossoms yet.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Purple bean report

by Jenise » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:41 pm

I've had those purple beans and agree wholeheartedly with your description. They're lovely. Re the romanos, report from the 49th parallel backatcha: we're already picking them here.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:55 pm

Jenise, the bean may be purple but I am green with envy. These are different Romanos than I am used to and I hope they don't disappoint. By this time any other year they would be starting to form.[/b]
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:29 pm

I was happy to see the purple beans at our Farmer's Market this season. I have enjoyed them in the past. This year, offerings are Italian beans (flat) yellow and a speckled with purple green bean. I love them all. The Italian beans are very sweet. I love to tell folks who are wondering about the purple that they do not dye your lips and actually turn green while cooking. The "Yard Long" green beans typically grown by the Asian families are a treat, as well.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:33 am

Picked purple and yellow beans yesterday at the local "pick your own" farm. Yum! Eggplants looked good too.

Also harvested a TON of basil at home & made kick-ass pesto last night.

Butter & Sugar corn is now available every day less than 1/4 mile from my house from a field less than 1/2 mile from my house.

Blueberries are so easy to pick right now we got 6 pounds in less than 15 minutes.

Apples start next week.

Gosh I love this time of year.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:55 am

Karen/NoCA wrote:I was happy to see the purple beans at our Farmer's Market this season. I have enjoyed them in the past. This year, offerings are Italian beans (flat) yellow and a speckled with purple green bean. I love them all. The Italian beans are very sweet. I love to tell folks who are wondering about the purple that they do not dye your lips and actually turn green while cooking. The "Yard Long" green beans typically grown by the Asian families are a treat, as well.

Karen, flat yellow Italian beans? I've never seen them, but yum. Ooh, and Asian long beans! My how I love those--and it's been forever since I've had any, which is another one of the pangs of not living close to Asian markets like I used to. Have you tried oven roasting them?
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:41 pm

Jenise,
Beans are one of the veggies I have not roasted. I reread my post and I forgot a comma. The Italian flat beans were not yellow, but green. The market had some yellow green beans much like what we call "string beans" only they were thinner. They cook up faster and are on the delicate side. Very mild flavor.
Yes, the Asian families are very good gardeners. Our local Asian families are very serious about what they do. I love that they always have their children working with them at the market. Even eight year olds are making change and weighing the produce. Great experience! The teens are so polite, friendly and hard workers. They are also very respectful towards their family members.