Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

How often do you entertain?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

Typically only on family holidays
No votes
Rarely, maybe once or twice a year
26%
About two to six times a year
11%
About once a month
33%
Several times a month
15%
At least once a week
15%

Total votes : 27
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:23 pm

Formally or casually, I don't care, but I don't mean when your kid's best friends joins the family for dinner. This question's reserved for when you actually invite a friend (or family member) to dinner.

Me, I entertain fairly often and I'm sure it's obvious from my posts, since I'm fairly open about my life. I answered at least once a week and it's actually more like twice. But others rarely mention entertaining at home, and for those of you who don't I'm curious about why not.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: How often do you entertain?

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:30 pm

Well, I answered once a month, but it's really in between once and several. Usually more like 2 or 3, but it depends a LOT on my work life. There are some months I barely even feed myself :oops:, and other times when I have someone over at least once a week.

And I do a lot of entertaining at the homes of friends and clients, but that's not the same as having people in my space.
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:44 pm

Usually 2-3 times per month during late fall through early spring when the weather cools. Less in summer (like now)…then maybe once every couple of months

Richard
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:46 pm

We got in the habit of entertaining in restaurants during my working days -- there was a great deal of stress for Janet, who has always been uncomfortable hiring folks to cook or clean in her house. So the great burden of entertaining fell on her, and she didn't have much fun as a result.

As my cooking skills have improved, we find folks suggesting that they drop by, but we still prefer entertaining at restaurants and returning home to continue the evening.

Three years ago I would have answered twice a year -- Christmas and Easter -- but looking back over my wine diary, it's moved up to one or two times a month.

We still entertain in NYC restaurants more than at home, long formed habit and the fact that many of our friends visit New York City and like enjoying what it has on offer.

I haven't improved my cooking well enough to compete with the pros, it appears.
:(

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:34 pm

I voted "Rarely"...I noticed that "Never" wasn't even an option...LOL!

Pre-kids I used to do a lot of entertaining...(well, a lot for a 30 yr old). But it became significantly less after my first child, and almost non-exsistant after my son was born and we found out he was allergic to so many foods.

At this point I usually host one adult party a yr (my birthday) and it is usually a karaoke or murder mystery, but I always do a nice dinner party along with it. I also have 2 bday parties for my children which are small, but I do a lot of cooking of not-so-appetizing "hypo-allergenic" food that is more challenging than any seven course dinner party I have ever put together. I will usually entertain a few friends along the way, as well as family or friends coming from overseas.

I also do a lot of "High Teas" for my hubby's family and a few of our mutual British friends when they come to visit us.

I am really looking forward to the days when I can entertain on a regular basis again!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:56 pm

Rarely here, too. Probably because of one of my hats involving the restaurant business, it just seems more natural and convenient for me for us to entertain by meeting friends, guests or clients at an appropriate restaurant. Plus, when you're a known wine geek, your guests are always terrified to bring wine. ;)
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:18 pm

I answered once a week, but I'm not certain what constitutes entertaining. I cook family dinner every Sunday. Sometimes its quite sophisticated and experimental (more for others than myself), other times it's lasagna, salad and pesto garlic bread with copious amounts of wine (usually one or two bottles of the good homemade stuff). I can always count on family, and the invitation is open to all who wants to come for a home cooked meal. Everyone who knows me, knows this! Sometimes we have as few as 3 people show up -- other times we have as many as 12. We never know who is going to show up, but we can always guarantee a cast of characters. Over the years people will show up with a few ingredients and will help make something out of this. Others will stay late and fill the dishwasher taking home any leftovers. Sometimes it's fun. Sometimes it's more than I bargained for and I dread it. But, come 5:00p something is cooking -- and more often than not, it's a pretty damned good time! :lol:
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:22 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:and the invitation is open to all who wants to come for a home cooked meal.

Jo Ann, what was your street address again? :D Lasagna, salad, and pesto garlic bread sound pretty darn good to me!!
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:29 pm

Jo Ann, If we cooked a family dinner, we'd have to pull out a craft table to eat it on! 4 years ago we turned the dining room into our computer room, and sold the dinner table and chairs on ebay. I guess that shows where our priorities are! :shock:

It's an adventure the time or two each year when we host a holiday gathering, just trying to find seats for everyone.
Last edited by Robert Reynolds on Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:09 am

My answer to the poll assumed that "entertaining" included my remote kitchen (i.e., the kitchen at The Other Stupid's place). We entertain there about once a week, but I hardly ever do at home.
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:22 am

Jenise wrote:Formally or casually, I don't care, but I don't mean when your kid's best friends joins the family for dinner. This question's reserved for when you actually invite a friend (or family member) to dinner.

Me, I entertain fairly often and I'm sure it's obvious from my posts, since I'm fairly open about my life. I answered at least once a week and it's actually more like twice. But others rarely mention entertaining at home, and for those of you who don't I'm curious about why not.

Well, I clearly don't belong in this thread. When one "entertains" several hundred people every night for decades, well, we are clearly talking about something else here.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:50 am

That, chef, is precisely why we pay no attention when our guests say,"You guys are great! You oughtta open a restaurant!"
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:27 am

What really is meant by entertaining? I usually have friends over 2-3 times a week, sometimes for a more serious dinner with wines and foods thought out in advance, sometimes (usually with the same small group of people) it's just cheeses or an improvised meal from what I happen to have around. Can this sort of gatherings be called entertaining?

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:09 am

Like Cynthia, it depends totally on the work schedule. My week hours are very unpredictable and I have only two weekends in five when I am totally free. These are the weekends for entertaining-usually dinners.
Two weeks ago I had the entire week off and had 2 lunches and 1 dinner.
Nothing better than the luxury of time.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:11 pm

Does having dinner daily with my sock puppets and Hummel figurines count?

Actually, between Zari and me, we have people in at least once a week ... somewhere. She loves to entertain, i.e. the whole set the table right thing etc. I just like to have unsuspecting victims to test new recipes on. I guess most folks would practice and perfect. Me, I just concoct and serve. (Uh, you wouldn't want me working anywhere near GMO's for this reason.) Just this past weekend I whipped up a poppy seed strudel from scratch, pretty much sans recipe, and forced total strangers to consume it! They liked it and I scarfed down an 18-incher myself for breakfast the next day.

Eatin' good stuff alone jes' ain't no fun!!!
And now what?
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:07 pm

Several times a month, but it's usually pretty casual. My new apartment is really small, so three people max is about all that will fit comfortably. Sometimes I'll cook something very basic and easy (can you say culinarily challenged?), or pick something up already prepared from Whole Paycheck, or sometimes we'll order in (there's a Thai restaurant nearby that delivers).

But there is always wine.
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Ines Nyby

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:49 pm

by Ines Nyby » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:38 pm

Hi Jenise,

I just dropped by for a quick look at the forum and since I haven't spoken up for a while (too busy with travel and having fun!) I thought I'd chime in. As you know, we entertain a great deal. Too bad there wasn't another choice--more than twice a week--since we typically have dinner guests at least twice a week and often three times, if you count people who join us for a meal on the boat or on the dock. Doesn't matter if it's summer, fall, winter or spring, the pattern seems to be the same: Family dinner for the kids and their SO's on Tuesday night, which can be adventurous cooking or just homestyle comfort food, My parents on another night, and other friends on yet another night. We are also invited very frequently. Hardly a week goes without someone inviting us for a meal. That makes me happy--I feel like I've chosen my friends well since we share a love of cooking and sharing good food and wine.
Ines
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:26 pm

When in California (Nov-May) we entertain very frequently. We have a nice social circle and the whole gang takes turns having people over for everything from lavish catered dinner parties to casual barbecues. We do one nice catered event in our home during the season, and then have two to three more formal type dinner parties where I do the cooking, and a barbecue or two where we invite loads of people and my husband and I both cook. We also enjoy having one or two other couples over for dinner "in the kitchen" once or twice a month. I love doing it most of the time--the menu planning, the serving dishes, setting the table, etc--but must admit there are times when we get so tired preparing, we want to set the food outside with a sign that says "Take some food and go home. We don't feel like seeing anyone this evening." I know that's terrible, but sometimes I just feel like I took on too much!

We are new to our neighborhood in NC, and our house is a bit "unfinished" so we're not quite ready for true entertaining here. Probably by next summer. We have had quite a bit of family come visit though, so the kitchen has gotten quite a bit of use!
no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

WoodburyMN

by GeoCWeyer » Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:53 pm

I answered once a month which seems to be the case the last couple of years. The reduction in entertaining is due to my wife working longer hours and the addition of two puppies to the household. The puppies were obtained a year apart. My wife needs most of the weekend to relax and recover from the week. In the case of the puppies, they have disrupted the household to a large extent. I have had to pack a lot of stuff away, switched rugs and furniture, and given up on the back yard. Hopefully this next year we can get back into the swing of things. Three years ago I kept track of the guest meals I made between Memorial days. The final number was over 180.

One effect of this slowdown in entertaining has been the growth in wine inventory. The floor of the wine cellar is covered with cases and all the racking is full.
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:34 pm

GeoCWeyer wrote:...One effect of this slowdown in entertaining has been the growth in wine inventory. The floor of the wine cellar is covered with cases and all the racking is full.
I could help you with that. :wink:
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:01 pm

Ines Nyby wrote:Hi Jenise,

I just dropped by for a quick look at the forum and since I haven't spoken up for a while (too busy with travel and having fun!) I thought I'd chime in. As you know, we entertain a great deal. Too bad there wasn't another choice--more than twice a week--since we typically have dinner guests at least twice a week and often three times, if you count people who join us for a meal on the boat or on the dock. Doesn't matter if it's summer, fall, winter or spring, the pattern seems to be the same: Family dinner for the kids and their SO's on Tuesday night, which can be adventurous cooking or just homestyle comfort food, My parents on another night, and other friends on yet another night. We are also invited very frequently. Hardly a week goes without someone inviting us for a meal. That makes me happy--I feel like I've chosen my friends well since we share a love of cooking and sharing good food and wine.
Ines

Ines, you are indeed a lucky woman, and so is anyone lucky enough to be chosen by you as a friend--you're a GREAT hostess. Your food's superb, your cellar's bottomless and you make it all look dead easy.

Hardly a week goes without someone inviting us for a meal. That makes me happy

It would me, too. Strangely, I don't have that many friends who entertain. But we know more here than we did in Huntington Beach, and for that I'm grateful.

We need to have a yap about wines, etc. And I need to get down there and inspect your finished cellar space!
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

by Barb Freda » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:56 pm

I would entertain once a week ...if Gary were more interested...I love cooking for people, I love having a house full of people...oh, right, we moved, too, and we don't even know enough people to fill the house.

I just love making a nice evening for people...Gary is just that social, though...

I also love impromptu...We did do that Sat. night--6 pm on the phone, people here by 7.30---just 7 people, but it was nice...

b
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:18 pm

Barb, love impromptus, good for you! Maybe it's easier to spring those on your antisocial hubby, too, since he doesn't have time to come up with objections. :)
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

by Barb Freda » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:22 pm

Ha! Good point, Jenise....Here's to future impromptus.

b