Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Let's hear it for German Thyme

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

WoodburyMN

Let's hear it for German Thyme

by GeoCWeyer » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:51 pm

This year I planted in my herb garden German thyme. Even though there is snow on the ground and the temp is definitely below freezing it is still fresh and alive. The thyme is planted on the southside of my garage right next to the garage wall. The snow hasn't covered it all and what is not covered is still fresh and alive.
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Re: Let's hear it for German Thyme

by Hoke » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:44 pm

Does German thyme taste any different, Geo? It's obviously hearty and cold weather resistant, but does it smell or taste any different?
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: Let's hear it for German Thyme

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:58 am

George, German Thyme is on of my faves, along with French Thyme. I also have English....love them all. They all have a little different flavor and they also act differently in the garden. My German Thyme is in a pot not far from my kitchen door. It lives with some English Thyme and a few chives that seem to last through the winter because of the pot and an overhanging oak tree.