Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Himalayan Pink Salt Block

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Himalayan Pink Salt Block

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:08 pm

that I can barely lift ,is what my youngest son gave me for Christmas. He told me in August he had something for me and was so excited, he did not know how he was going to stand waiting until Christmas! As I was opening this darned thing, which I could barely handle, I asked, "is it a piece of marble, granite, or a block or Parmesan?" No, on all counts. After the darned thing was unwrapped, I still did not know what it was, "Taste it", wise son said. "Salt, this big? What am I supposed to do with it?" So, I get pages of instructions, recipes, tips and tricks, from Mark Bitterman, co-owner of The Meadow.
Anyone have any experience with a cooking salt block, seen one working, in a restaurant or someone's home?
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Himalayan Pink Salt Block

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:37 am

That was an interesting thing to look up! Thank you.

Apparently, it is a fairly impervious substance. It will impart only a minimum of salt to the food. The key property of the slab is that it will retain for a long time whatever temperature you bring it to. So, if you stick it in the freezer for a few hours, you can then plate ice cream or sushi or any cold food on it. If you warm it up over the grill, it is a cooking stone on which you can fry or dry saute food. It's a pizza stone with a really good back-story?

Anyway, there are lots of videos on YouTube that show cooks using it. There is also a decent account of it here: http://www.saltnews.com/cooking-with-himalayan-salt-plates-blocks-bricks-platters/
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:38 am

I've never heard of such a thing - sounds like you could do some interesting things with one of those.

Is yours as pretty as the ones in the link that Jeff posted, Karen?
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:29 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:I've never heard of such a thing - sounds like you could do some interesting things with one of those.

Is yours as pretty as the ones in the link that Jeff posted, Karen?

Yes, it is Mike. Has the lovely pink tinge, with some sparkles, a bit of movement here and there, and it tastes good!
I've downloaded lots of info, plus I have what our son gave me. He told me to be sure an read as much info as I could. It seems some folks do not. Some have stuck them into a hot oven only to have them explode all over the place when the door is opened. I surly do not want that to happen.

From my research, folks use it architecturally for ceilings, tables, art, and more.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:07 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:That was an interesting thing to look up! Thank you.

Apparently, it is a fairly impervious substance. It will impart only a minimum of salt to the food. The key property of the slab is that it will retain for a long time whatever temperature you bring it to. So, if you stick it in the freezer for a few hours, you can then plate ice cream or sushi or any cold food on it. If you warm it up over the grill, it is a cooking stone on which you can fry or dry saute food. It's a pizza stone with a really good back-story?

Anyway, there are lots of videos on YouTube that show cooks using it. There is also a decent account of it here: http://www.saltnews.com/cooking-with-himalayan-salt-plates-blocks-bricks-platters/

Interesting comments Jeff...I was amazed by the salt block blowing up when some of the folks heated them up too quickly. Golly, I would hate that mess! I am carefully plotting my first use and method of heating. My son made sure the salt block was food/cooking grade. It is a full two inches thick, log and very heavy. It will be a challenge to handle when hot, I do have OV gloves, but have to see if they will be safe for that high of a temperature. Fun, fun :D
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:27 pm

SO glad I read this...or I would have been chipping off small pieces and adding them to soups and other foods! :lol: :shock: :wink: