Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Gorgonzola cream sauce question

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Gorgonzola cream sauce question

by David M. Bueker » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:18 pm

So I received the Cooks Illustrated cookbook for Christmas. Love it. I'm filled to the brim with ideas from it.

Last night I made the Gorgonzola cream sauce for our whole wheat pasta. The flavor was outstanding, but it never thickened up one bit except when it cooled off. The ingredients and measures were just as specified (heavy cream, a little wine and the cheese), but even after double the noted cooking time I still had something the same thickness of the cream/wine mixture.

Any ideas where I might have gone wrong, or is it supposed to be thin?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Gorgonzola cream sauce question

by Robin Garr » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:45 pm

Heavy cream should thicken as it boils, David, but maybe ultra-pasteurization works against that in some way? If nobody was looking, I might have cheated and stirred in a little cornstarch or arrowroot. ;)
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:39 pm

That seems odd. I usually get fairly thick cream sauces with enough heating. Don't know what would have happened with yours.

I'm also a big fan of that cookbook. I'll be interested in your experiences with those recipes.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:48 pm

Mike - I did a chicken & bok choy stir fry recipe from the book tonight. Almost exactly right, but too salty. next time I won't use as much soy sauce as they called for.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:54 am

Hmm. Not sure. I always use Ina Garten's recipe for it and it works perfectly.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/gorgonzola-sauce-recipe/index.html
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:10 pm

Wow. Ina's recipe calls for a much longer reduction/boiling time than the Cook's Illustrated Cookbook.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:17 pm

I never thought of using this sauce for pasta, but I've used it to lace pork and vegetables and whenever I serve it to guests, I'm always asked for the recipe. It is nice and creamy, with just the right amount of thickness that would work well to cling to pasta. From Saveur magazine:

Bleu Cheese Sauce
1 c dry vermouth
1 3/4 c heavy cream
3-4 oz bleu cheese (good quality)
freshly ground white pepper

Bring vermouth to a boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat until reduced by half (about 7 minutes). Add cream and return to a boil. Reduce sauce by about 1/3 (about 15 minutes). Remove from heat, whisk in cheese and season with pepper. Keep warm.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:29 pm

I have no issue with the taste of a gorg sauce, but I do have an aesthetic issue with the visual aspect as it usually looks like unappetizing blue wall paper paste (except in David's case, where I guess it would look like unappetizing blue gruel). I always toss something a bit more scenic in there - sometimes as simple as a sprinkle of chopped parsley or even Parmesan to lighten the appearance a bit. I've also used shaved almonds or walnuts as they mate flavours well with the cheese.

David, you could always cheat and shorten the time for thickening by adding a tsp of arrowroot or cornstarch....
no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

WoodburyMN

by GeoCWeyer » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:07 pm

Could the quality/butterfat % of the cheese have something to do with it? Maybe it had a lower butterfat. Also so many of the so called heavy creams rely on thickeners rather than a higher butter fat.
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:31 am

Very high quality cheese and pure cream, so not sure what happened. Guess I will have to try making it again! :mrgreen: