Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Beef and Mushroom Platter

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

RCP: Beef and Mushroom Platter

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:42 am

Doing a buffet? Here is a great recipe from a friend in OR that we had at her home on a couple of occasions, and I have made it, as well. I love the use of the Eye of Round roast

Beef and Mushroom Platter

2 C water Few drops of lemon juice
Dash of salt 1 lg white onion separated into rings

Combine first three ingredients. Bring to a boil in a sauce pan. Drop onion rings into the boiling water. Remove immediately and drain.

15 large mushrooms 1 tsp salt
1-1/2 pounds cold cooked eye of round roast
cut into thin slices 1/2 tsp Marjoram crushed
1/2 C red wine vinegar 1/4 tsp chervil crushed
1 C oil 1/4 tsp freshly freshly ground pepper
2 tsp. Dijon mustard 2 tbs chopped parsley

Slice mushrooms lengthwise into thick slices. Arrange meat, onion rings and mushrooms in 13x9x2 dish. Stir together remaining ingredients except parsley and pour over meat and vegetables. Cover with clear plastic and chill several hours or overnight basting occasionally.

To serve, remove meat and vegetables from marinade, drain and arrange on a lettuce lined platter. Sprinkle with chopped parsley. Serve cold.

The marinade will accommodate more than 1 1/2 pounds of meat and veggies. You can also use less oil. You need just enough to hold the marinade on the meat and veggies.

I cook the meat to med. well. Just cook it to your particular taste. Rare is just fine. Enjoy
no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

WoodburyMN

Re: RCP: Beef and Mushroom Platter

by GeoCWeyer » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:37 pm

Might be great with lean medium rare venison.
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:26 pm

I've got to do a buffet for Saturday night. Was thinking of going cold because we have to have a meeting and everyone has to eat out of their laps. You've given me a great idea here, thanks!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:08 pm

Jenise wrote:I've got to do a buffet for Saturday night. Was thinking of going cold because we have to have a meeting and everyone has to eat out of their laps. You've given me a great idea here, thanks!

Glad to be of help! :)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:41 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:
Jenise wrote:I've got to do a buffet for Saturday night. Was thinking of going cold because we have to have a meeting and everyone has to eat out of their laps. You've given me a great idea here, thanks!

Glad to be of help! :)

Karen, I often serve cold meats like sliced rolled pork tenderloin or tri trip on a bed of lettuces and doused well with a good homemade vinaigrette with fresh herbs (rosemary for beef, thyme for pork), and maybe bits of chopped tomato for color. Sometimes it's lunch for us out of leftovers, or a cold meat starter course for vegetarian kabobs, say, at dinner time. I've also done platters in the same manner for guests; but I've never done an overnight marination of the type you describe here, and you've piqued my interest. Alas, it won't happen this weekend, I've had to cancel the event because I'm still sick, but hopefully will try it out soon. Thanks for posting.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov