Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Paris' oldest bakery closes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Paris' oldest bakery closes

by Jenise » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:09 am

Sad news from eater.com:

The oldest bakery in Paris, Au Richelieu Boulangerie, is closing after 202 years making bread. Baker Claude Esnault has been with the bakery since 1969, but after the owner of the building doubled the rent, he has been forced to shutter. Esnault is concerned about the neighborhood: "The absence of local facilities will make the area dead. It's like in a village when there's no bakery and no school." A new shop will open in the Au Richelieu Boulangerie location, but they will make sweets, not bread."
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

Re: Paris' oldest bakery closes

by Jon Peterson » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:37 am

This is sad, Jenise. Of course I don't know the landlord's story but it is hard to believe that a doubling of the rent is necessary for anything more than the love of money.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:10 am

Jon Peterson wrote:This is sad, Jenise. Of course I don't know the landlord's story but it is hard to believe that a doubling of the rent is necessary for anything more than the love of money.

Yes, there is that. And I certainly don't know the landlord's story either. But that neighborhood is not exactly a small quaint village anymore and may not need a local bakery of the same kind anymore. We can't expect things to stay the same forever.

But those are general thoughts. I don't know the particulars of this case.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:53 am

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:39 am

Dang, now where will I go for my Saturday morning donut and cuppa Joe?
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:15 am

I'm always sad when a historic shop (especially a bakery!) closes. But at same time I'm not sure it's fair to expect landlords to charge rents based on what I'd like. So 35K euros annually is basically $3700-3800 a month. According to article this is in the 1st arrondissment, which has got to be some of the most expensive land in Paris (Louvre, Palais Royale, Ritz). Not sure how big the shop is, but that doesn't really sound like gouging to me.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:57 pm

From our company's relocation planning website it looks like an average 1,000 sq. ft. flat in the 1st Arrondissment lists for about $1.8 million. It also sounds like renting a flat in that area is virtually impossible - "Rentals in the area are seldom made available to expatriates and are normally priced at a substantial premium to the market." It seems that the bakery was getting quite a bargain on their lease.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:25 pm

Dale Williams wrote:I'm always sad when a historic shop (especially a bakery!) closes. But at same time I'm not sure it's fair to expect landlords to charge rents based on what I'd like.

Or operate a charity with rents well below market. Always sad to see an institution go away, though.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov