Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Ferran Adrià's potato-chip tortilla! :D

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: Ferran Adrià's potato-chip tortilla! :D

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:36 pm

Jenise wrote:
Mike Filigenzi wrote:Made this last night. Used diced Spanish chorizo instead of the ham and added milk. Unfortunately, I got sidetracked and overcooked it a bit. It was still pretty tasty. I'll make it again. It agree that it's not as good as using potatoes instead of chips but the reality for me is that I need a range of nutritious dishes that go together (start to finish) in less than an hour.

And hell, how often can you come home from work at 6 and have a Ferran Adria dish on the table by 7? :D

Another shortcut? Use frozen, or previously frozen, cubed potatoes.

Good point - I'll have to consider that.

It would be interesting to do a side-by-side of the two.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:01 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:
Jenise wrote:
Mike Filigenzi wrote:Made this last night. Used diced Spanish chorizo instead of the ham and added milk. Unfortunately, I got sidetracked and overcooked it a bit. It was still pretty tasty. I'll make it again. It agree that it's not as good as using potatoes instead of chips but the reality for me is that I need a range of nutritious dishes that go together (start to finish) in less than an hour.

And hell, how often can you come home from work at 6 and have a Ferran Adria dish on the table by 7? :D

Another shortcut? Use frozen, or previously frozen, cubed potatoes.

Good point - I'll have to consider that.

It would be interesting to do a side-by-side of the two.

Mike, I've been using those frozen potatoes doing test batches for the frittata I'll serve at this weekend's big breakfast. Not nearly as good as fresh potato, but not bad and super handy for test kitchen purposes. I love how, when cut, the cubes set in egg look like terrazzo tile.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:38 pm

Jenise wrote:Mike, I've been using those frozen potatoes doing test batches for the frittata I'll serve at this weekend's big breakfast. Not nearly as good as fresh potato, but not bad and super handy for test kitchen purposes. I love how, when cut, the cubes set in egg look like terrazzo tile.

Have you considered Tater Tots? (I bet F.A. did....) :lol:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:47 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:
Jenise wrote:Mike, I've been using those frozen potatoes doing test batches for the frittata I'll serve at this weekend's big breakfast. Not nearly as good as fresh potato, but not bad and super handy for test kitchen purposes. I love how, when cut, the cubes set in egg look like terrazzo tile.

God no. But actually, they might be better than potato chips!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:29 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:

Hmmmm.........
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
Previous