Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Who Knew?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Who Knew?

by Howie Hart » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:49 pm

Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Who Knew?

by Jenise » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:04 pm

You go the memory wheels turning: we once had dinner in an Italian restaurant out on the suburbs of Orange County where good ethnic food was an oxymoron, and the food was surprisingly authentic and interesting. We said as much to the very-Italian proprietor, who laughed at our surprise and thanked us for understanding the difference, by commenting on the more average OC customer who thought Italian food was, he said, dropping his accent and sounding very clueless, "a plate of FEY-too-CHEENIE al-FRAY-dough and a big glass of CHAR-dough-NAY." We still make ourselves laugh pronouncing the names that way.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:56 pm

Jenise wrote:You go the memory wheels turning: we once had dinner in an Italian restaurant out on the suburbs of Orange County where good ethnic food was an oxymoron, and the food was surprisingly authentic and interesting. We said as much to the very-Italian proprietor, who laughed at our surprise and thanked us for understanding the difference, by commenting on the more average OC customer who thought Italian food was, he said, dropping his accent and sounding very clueless, "a plate of FEY-too-CHEENIE al-FRAY-dough and a big glass of CHAR-dough-NAY." We still make ourselves laugh pronouncing the names that way.

Are you saying that many of us put the empha'sis on the wrong sylla'ble? Does it make a difference in the taste of the wine? :P
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:51 am

Karen/NoCA wrote:Are you saying that many of us put the empha'sis on the wrong sylla'ble? Does it make a difference in the taste of the wine? :P

I think it's just how anyone who isn't Italian sounds to a real born-in-Italy Italian. :) I still remember the pizza he made us--coated with lots of parmesan and chopped fresh oregano. Fresh!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:42 pm

I think it's just how anyone who isn't Italian sounds to a real born-in-Italy Italian.

Giada de Laurentis was born in Rome I believe and she uses Italian pronunciation on her show. I've noticed comments about her fake Italian pronunciation from her fans. I really can't comment on that since I, too, probably use the English pronunciation of most of the Italian dishes.
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:57 am

by Mike Bowlin » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:26 am

Jenise wrote:You go the memory wheels turning: we once had dinner in an Italian restaurant out on the suburbs of Orange County where good ethnic food generally speaking was an oxymoron, but here the food was surprisingly authentic and interesting. We said as much to the very-Italian proprietor, who laughed at our surprise and thanked us for understanding the difference, by commenting on the more average OC customer who thought Italian food was, he said, dropping his accent and sounding very clueless, "a plate of FEY-too-CHEENIE al-FRAY-dough and a big glass of CHAR-dough-NAY." We still make ourselves laugh pronouncing the names that way.

I recently dined in a local small mexican cafe that had an interesting choice of words on their menu. Bacon raped shrimp and hole beans. I think I returned just so
I could read the menu and laugh. Subsequently someone used a spell check and the rest is history.
thought I would share this.
Mike
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:53 am

Mike Bowlin wrote:
I recently dined in a local small mexican cafe that had an interesting choice of words on their menu. Bacon raped shrimp and hole beans. I think I returned just so
I could read the menu and laugh. Subsequently someone used a spell check and the rest is history.
thought I would share this.
Mike

That's a hilarious one, and the kind of thing that would definitely have me going back to the restaurant, assuming the food was good. Too bad they changed it!

(And welcome back, Mike!)
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:08 pm

Mike Bowlin wrote:Bacon raped shrimp and hole beans.

I hated to laugh, because the mom-and-pop (actually mom-and-son) proprietors of a Thai place in our neighborhood were so sweet and the eatery was so nice.

But how could you not laugh at a shellfish dish mistakenly spelled as "Crap Soup"?

Longer ago, a Chinese spot's "fried wantons" had me laughing for a good long while.
no avatar
User

Ted Richards

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:00 pm

Toronto, Canada

by Ted Richards » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:38 pm

Mike Bowlin wrote:Bacon raped shrimp and hole beans.

My favourite Peking-style restaurant (alas no more) used to have "Seven Dwarts Snow Peas" on the menu.

I never saw it myself, but Toronto Life magazine once reported on a restaurant that advertised "Barbecued Prok with Nudies".