Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Time to discuss Top Chef again (spoilers)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Time to discuss Top Chef again (spoilers)

by Jenise » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:41 pm

Josie finally went home. THANK GOD. I was so pissed that they had the chance to dump her last week but let Kristin fall on her sword instead. The whole contest was so obviously coming down to Kristin and Brooke that it just killed me to see Kristin go. They were the best and the most deserving.

I am guessing almost everyone else who watches the show felt the same way and the judges got pounded for it. So this week, when we fully expected to see Brooke go--her fried chicken was clearly the worst--they saved her and dumped Josie instead. Am guessing they understood that if they dumped the two top contenders, the finale and win for whoever eventually won would have been meaningless. They'd end up with another Hosea. Or the guy who beat Angelo Sosa, who nobody remembers.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Daisy D

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:43 pm

PVB, FL

Re: Time to discuss Top Chef again (spoilers)

by Daisy D » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:34 pm

I agree! Very glad to see Josie finally go. There was a reason she went home the first time. Stefan at least made it all the way to the finale in his season.

Though it was rather honorable for her to do so, I wished Kristen would have fought harder to stay. At least she got her revenge on Josie in Last Chance Kitchen.
...Eating is the only form of professionalism most people ever attain. - Don Delillo
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:47 pm

Haven't seen Last Chance Kitchen but once (CJ vs. the Texan with the glasses on his forehead). So Kristin beat CJ then? Had been kind of rooting for him though not sorry to see Kristin there at all! She's great. And so beautiful!!! Bob and I have spent some time discussing whether or not she's gay. NOT THAT IT MATTERS, mind you, but you have to talk about something during commercials and this is a topic we've returned to more than once. Bob is swayed by the Rachel Maddow haircut, but I'm not convinced.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:46 am

BUMP.

So now Stefan's out. I liked him as a person this time better than when he competed the first time around, but for the most part I wasn't as impressed with his food this time. He's rested on old laurels and not brought anything new to the game, especially by comparison to younger chefs like Brooke and Kristen.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:12 pm

Hi! Jumping in here as you know I love discussing Top Chef!

Okay, I believe the producers let Kristen go so she could UPSET CJ (previously undefeated) in Last Chance Kitchen, and then have the opportunity to go up against Jose head-to-head, with an obvious victory (and ultimate revenge). I would be shocked if she isn't the last one standing in TCK and brought into the finale. She is so calm and cool. I love her style and she seems wise beyond her years. Jenise, regarding whether or not she is a lesbian, I remember in the very first show before they narrowed the field down to 16, Kristen arrived on-scene with another female chef "best friend." They "live together, cook together, do everything together, and all of our friends and family are always so surprised that neither one of us is gay." I remember a sound bite, something to that affect. Maybe they're just not "out" yet... :wink:

Agree Stefan was much more personable this time around and I really enjoyed his banter. He had some of the best lines of the season.
Looking forward to watching tonight's episode this weekend!
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:11 pm

Carrie L. wrote:Hi! Jumping in here as you know I love discussing Top Chef!

Okay, I believe the producers let Kristen go so she could UPSET CJ (previously undefeated) in Last Chance Kitchen, and then have the opportunity to go up against Jose head-to-head, with an obvious victory (and ultimate revenge). I would be shocked if she isn't the last one standing in TCK and brought into the finale. She is so calm and cool. I love her style and she seems wise beyond her years. Jenise, regarding whether or not she is a lesbian, I remember in the very first show before they narrowed the field down to 16, Kristen arrived on-scene with another female chef "best friend." They "live together, cook together, do everything together, and all of our friends and family are always so surprised that neither one of us is gay." I remember a sound bite, something to that affect. Maybe they're just not "out" yet... :wink:

Agree Stefan was much more personable this time around and I really enjoyed his banter. He had some of the best lines of the season.
Looking forward to watching tonight's episode this weekend!

Interesting re Kristen. And whatever she is, she's sure gorgeous and almost ridiculously talented in the kitchen. I wouldn't have been sorry to see CJ come back, but if Kristen does and wins it, she might be the only cheftestant who could do it and feel like a legitimate winner. Otherwise, I'm betting on Brooke. Sheldon is Brooke's only real competition at this point, I think, but IMO he's not really in her league. Josh definitely isn't, and Lizzie is the dark horse. Who are you betting on?
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:04 pm

Jenise wrote:Interesting re Kristen. And whatever she is, she's sure gorgeous and almost ridiculously talented in the kitchen. I wouldn't have been sorry to see CJ come back, but if Kristen does and wins it, she might be the only cheftestant who could do it and feel like a legitimate winner. Otherwise, I'm betting on Brooke. Sheldon is Brooke's only real competition at this point, I think, but IMO he's not really in her league. Josh definitely isn't, and Lizzie is the dark horse. Who are you betting on?

If Kristen makes it into the finale, I will easily bet on her. If not, then definitely Brooke. Honestly, I haven't seen much from Lizzie at all, Josh only knows bacon and Sheldon only knows Asian.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:36 pm

Carrie L. wrote:
If Kristen makes it into the finale, I will easily bet on her. If not, then definitely Brooke. Honestly, I haven't seen much from Lizzie at all, Josh only knows bacon and Sheldon only knows Asian.

I'm with you all the way. I think Lizzie's done some very good food, sometimes besting her peers with food of a type she's not actually familiar with. But she's not the total package the way Kristen and Brooke are. Josh has mostly been lucky--never in the top, but never in the very bottom. And Sheldon, as you say, just cooks Asian. But it's often suprisingly good.