Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Espresso Cinnamon Coffee Cake or Muffins

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RCP: Espresso Cinnamon Coffee Cake or Muffins

by Jenise » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:19 pm

One of the biggest hits of last weekend's big breakfast was the coffee cake we served. I did my own riff on a recipe found in a magazine for cinnamon muffins, doubling the cinnamon and adding espresso powder (thank you 'Winger for inadvertently mentioning espresso powder at exactly the right moment). I'm not a big sweets fan but I absolutely LOVED this because it wasn't that sweet, and everybody else (including the sweet tooths) loved it too. Great recipe for fans of the potent Vietnamese cinnamon, though of course any cinnamon will do.

Makes 12 regular (cup cake) sized muffins, 6 large, or an 8" square cake.

For the cake part:

2 cups AP flour
1 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
3 teaspoons espresso powder
2 eggs
2/3 c milk
1/2 cup butter, melted

In a small bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Whisk the egg, milk and butter together; then stir into the dry ingredients until just moistened. Fill greased muffin tins 2/3 full, or use greased 8" cake pan. Sprinkle over topping, below, and bake at 400 F for 15-18 minutes, or closer to 25 minutes if making a cake.

For the topping:

8 tsp AP flour
4 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
4 tsp cold butter

Cut butter into dry ingredient mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over battter and bake.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: RCP: Espresso Cinnamon Coffee Cake or Muffins

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:47 pm

I love your pineapple muffins and add cinnamon to them as well. Plus, the Vietnamese cinnamon is what I have right now. Will be making this for the weekend. Thanks for sharing. :)
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:57 pm

Looks good. Showed it to Norma and she will try it very soon. How bad can it be. it has Espresso Powder and Vietnamese Cinnamon in it.
Thanks for posting.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:10 pm

Hey, Jenise
Are the measurements correct for the streusel topping? I've never seen a recipe that called for teaspoons of butter. Also, 4 tsps doesn't seem to be enough to sufficiently cut into 12 tsps of combined flour and sugar. Just wondering.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Drew Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Mon May 26, 2008 8:07 am

Bel Air, Maryland

by Drew Hall » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:45 pm

Thanks Jenise, I'll make the recipe this weekend although for a moment I thought, "where am I gonna find AP flour?"...then I realized and said "you idiot..it's ALL PURPOSE FLOUR!!!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:40 am

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:Hey, Jenise
Are the measurements correct for the streusel topping? I've never seen a recipe that called for teaspoons of butter. Also, 4 tsps doesn't seem to be enough to sufficiently cut into 12 tsps of combined flour and sugar. Just wondering.

Yes, 4+4+2, in teaspoons, was the original recipe for flour, sugar and butter respectively--I just double-checked, and it turned out well for me. But that recipe was for six measly muffins where I had turned it into coffee cake (literally!) so just doubled the base parts.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:31 pm

Fresh from the oven and smells wonderful FWIW, the cake took 23 minutes in our oven.

Espresso Coffee Cake.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:19 pm

'Winger, do you like raw batter? Bob declared that the best he'd ever sampled. Of course, deprivation would have a lot to do with that since I almost never bake cakes. You're much more fortunate!
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:21 pm

Wow - I may see if my wife will make up a batch of that. Sounds fantastic and looks great.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:29 pm

Jenise wrote:'Winger, do you like raw batter? Bob declared that the best he'd ever sampled. Of course, deprivation would have a lot to do with that since I almost never bake cakes. You're much more fortunate!

Jenise, I don't know how the raw batter tastes. I was told to get my a$$ out of the kitchen. Since I was craving some coffee cake, for once I did as I was told.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:36 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Wow - I may see if my wife will make up a batch of that. Sounds fantastic and looks great.

Your predicament is what prompted me to post that, Mike, since you can have baked goods but coffee intake is apparently limited to below what you'd prefer. Thought this might be a two-fer!
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:23 pm

Jenise, I just made up a batch of the muffins and they made 14 muffins and with plenty of topping. They sure smell good in the oven right now and have actually risen out of the muffin tin by quite a bit. I always add an extra egg to my muffin mixes.