Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

So what is this stuff?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

So what is this stuff?

by Jenise » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:34 pm

A few months ago Bob and I had a quick lunch at a Sonic Burger and ordered onion rings. Worst. Onion Rings. Ever. They had the creepiest sweet vanilla flavor to them, but it wasn't quite vanilla and sugar. It was something stranger, almost a marshmallow taste.

Never thought about it again until we had lunch in a Seattle Chinese restaurant the other day and ordered salt and pepper fried pork chops. I needed comfort food and this was a dish that would do it. Only, the meat was very odd. Instead of being dry and naked but for the salt and peppper, the pork had been dipped in a batter first. And guess what? It had that same identical creepy sweet-odd vanilla flavor that the Sonic onion rings have.

Anybody know what this is? Is it some kind of commercial batter they buy at Cash 'n Carry (same as Smart & Final)?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: So what is this stuff?

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:39 pm

Weird. I haven't run across anything that sounds like that, but I've never been to a Sonic.

Sounds icky.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:43 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Weird. I haven't run across anything that sounds like that, but I've never been to a Sonic.

Sounds icky.

They're not bad. We're not habitues by any means, but medical adventures with the cat have put us in some strange places, hungry, hence Sonic Burger and a few other fast food detours of late.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:05 pm

Jenise, I suggest you and Bob pack lunches from now on and take them along in a good car cooler. It does not sound like you and the offerings of food are hitting it off. :P :wink:
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:47 pm

How's Sonic outside of the weird onion rings?
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:57 pm

Jenise! Your palate is still good, even after a visit to Sonic.

If you type "what's in the onion rings at Sonic" into Google, and choose the "I feel lucky" button, you should end up at http://www.copykat.com/2009/05/19/original-sonic-onion-ring-recipe/ where you will learn the awful truth.

Be strong, girl.
no avatar
User

Jim Cassidy

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:00 pm

Salt Lake City

by Jim Cassidy » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:05 pm

Jeff said:

Jenise! Your palate is still good, even after a visit to Sonic.

I'll say. Nailed it.
Jim Cassidy

Owner, Millcreek Vineyards

(The prettiest vineyard in the Salt Lake Valley)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:21 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:Jenise! Your palate is still good, even after a visit to Sonic.

If you type "what's in the onion rings at Sonic" into Google, and choose the "I feel lucky" button, you should end up at http://www.copykat.com/2009/05/19/original-sonic-onion-ring-recipe/ where you will learn the awful truth.

Be strong, girl.

GROSS!!! That's even worse than I imagined! (It's even weirder to imagine the bowl of melted vanilla ice milk in the kitchen of the Chinese restaurant.)

Karen, your suggestion is a good one, but most of these forays aren't the pre-planned kind.

Mike, the burgers at Sonic are okay, don't mind them at all. Haven't tried any other item (have only been there like three times) but for the tater tots (an alternative to fries) once, which were also odd tasting--not sweet like the ORs but nonetheless odd in a way I didn't note except to never do that again.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:00 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:Jenise! Your palate is still good, even after a visit to Sonic.

Be strong, girl.

The funniest part is that apparently there are people who tried to recreate them at home!
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:05 pm

Carrie L. wrote:The funniest part is that apparently there are people who tried to recreate them at home!

A chacun son gout horrible. :wink:
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:57 am

by Mike Bowlin » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Jenise wrote:It's even weirder to imagine the bowl of melted vanilla ice milk in the kitchen of the Chinese restaurant.)

Thats what they feed the cat !
Thanks,
Mike