Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Panko Bread Crumbs

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Panko Bread Crumbs

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:40 pm

Which do you prefer? I have been using Ian's from one of our local heath food stores. Ingredients are unbleached wheat flour, evaporated can juice, yeast, sea salt. I was out today and conveniently stopped by our local supermarket only find they carried one brand. When I got home I was surprised by the ingredients...bleached wheat flour, dextrose, shortening,palm oil, yeast and salt. I looked on-line at Amazon and found a few more brands. People seem to like Ian's and Kikkoman. I never knew there were so many....what do you look for in your Panko and which brand do you have the best results with?
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: Panko Break Crumbs

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:58 pm

Well now you have me thinking, Karen. I've always just bought whatever a given store carried. It hadn't occurred to me that there might be some differences between them. I'll be interested to hear what others have to say on this.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:35 pm

Ditto. Never knew they varied.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:45 pm

Evaporated can juice? If you mean cane juice, that's a con man term for sugar.

We usually get Shirakiku, a Japanese brand, but just because that's what HMart and local Japanese grocery both carry (we have some regular and some honey panko). The only time I remember ever "noticing" panko being different because of brand was one time when I got Progresso which seemed less flaky than most panko.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:27 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Evaporated can juice? If you mean cane juice, that's a con man term for sugar.

We usually get Shirakiku, a Japanese brand, but just because that's what HMart and local Japanese grocery both carry (we have some regular and some honey panko). The only time I remember ever "noticing" panko being different because of brand was one time when I got Progresso which seemed less flaky than most panko.

Yes, a typo, I meant cane juice
no avatar
User

Bob Sisak

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:56 am

Shrewsbury, MA

by Bob Sisak » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:56 pm

I've used probably 6 different panko crumbs over the years, but the one I'm liking now are the ones I get from King Arthur Flour.
Bob Sisak
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:16 pm

Bob Sisak wrote:I've used probably 6 different panko crumbs over the years, but the one I'm liking now are the ones I get from King Arthur Flour.

thanks, will check those out.
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

by Fred Sipe » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:40 am

Bob Sisak wrote:I've used probably 6 different panko crumbs over the years, but the one I'm liking now are the ones I get from King Arthur Flour.

We don't have any at the moment but I know the brand we like best comes in a black bag. Googled the King Arthur and darned if that's not it! Good stuff.

Panko.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Panko Bread Crumbs

by Jenise » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:24 pm

Didn't know King Arthur had a panko brand!

But what I like comes in a blue and pink bag from an Asian store. Don't even know the name, which might not even be in English. Hate Kikkoman, though. I think a lot of people use Kikkoman because it's often sold in mainstream grocers, but not because they've had more experience and understand the differences possible. Kikkoman's are denser and harder kernels that can't provide the delicate crunch I crave from panko when using it as a coating. Kikkoman's remind me of what happened to bread I toasted in a new toaster oven we got once that claimed to also be a convection oven. Thing is, even when not set to convection it convectioned, and toast didn't just brown it dried out while browning which changed the texture.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov