Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Guess we don't drink much rum--frugality alert

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Guess we don't drink much rum--frugality alert

by Redwinger » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:40 pm

There really isn't a point to this post, but...
NJ needed some dark rum for a cake recipe and asked if we had any on hand. I just shrugged "I dunno, lemme look downstairs". After a brief search I emerged holding a bottle. Upon closer inspection, it turned out to be a quart bottle of Bacardi Dark. A quick search shows they haven't bottled US booze in non metric volumes since 1977. Therefore I strongly suspect this is a remnant from our 1974 wedding reception. Even more telling about our frugality is the fact we have moved at least 10 times since then and apparently have diligently packed this each time. <sigh>
Now where did I put that dime the tooth fairy left under my pillow circa 1951? :wink:
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

Re: Guess we don't drink much rum--frugality alert

by Frank Deis » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:52 pm

If you still have that silver dime, let me tell you it's appreciated quite a bit!

I have a bottle of Scotch, I think it's "Pinch" which an older friend gave me -- unopened and clearly from the "Mad Men" era with the name painted on the glass with rather thick white paint. I'm almost scared to open and drink it, feel like it would be better in an antique store than a liquor store.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:27 pm

Liquor doesn't go off so feel free.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:36 pm

Frank Deis wrote:If you still have that silver dime, let me tell you it's appreciated quite a bit!

I have a bottle of Scotch, I think it's "Pinch" which an older friend gave me -- unopened and clearly from the "Mad Men" era with the name painted on the glass with rather thick white paint. I'm almost scared to open and drink it, feel like it would be better in an antique store than a liquor store.

If it's unopened and the seal is intact, that bottle could indeed be worth some money. Craigslist might be worth a shot. Or a local whiskey society.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:07 pm

I started making wine in 1976 and friends have saved bottles for me to recycle over the years, which sometimes get re-used several times. I still have a few bottles designated as "4/5 Quart".
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.