Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

The proper way to scramble an egg?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

The proper way to scramble an egg?

by Jenise » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:06 pm

A few weeks back when stuck on the sofa with the flu, I watched a few minutes of The Chew and watched Mario Batali discuss the proper way to make scrambled eggs: stirring in the pan with a big balloon whisk in order to get "a fine crumb". (His idea of 'done' occurs earlier than some of ours would.)

Then while in L.A. last week, my friend Annabelle and I got into a discussion of how to cook scrambled eggs. We were making huevos rancheros for breakfast and one or the other of us needed to do produce the eggs for it. She's Chinese, and she scrambles egg the Chinese way: the egg is mixed with water and thrown into a hot wok and cooked on high heat until cooked. Browned edges are desirable and the size of cooked pieces unimportant. Chewy is good. In turn I described my method: milk or cream instead of water for a creamier, loftier texture and very slow cooking in order to avoid any browning. I don't stir constantly but let it set here and there so that I get a lot of wide flat thin layers. I also told her about Mario's method which elicited an 'ew'.

So there are three ways to skin that cat, and there are probably more. How do you scramble eggs?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: The proper way to scramble an egg?

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:14 pm

I do mine pretty much the way you do, J. Use milk or cream, cook slow, stir frequently but not constantly, avoid browning. As for how soft or hard to go, I usually check with whomever I'm serving to get a preference.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:16 pm

#2, please.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:56 pm

What Jenise said....have always used that method. Love it, but I bet I'd like Annabelle's too. If food is good, it is good!
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:57 pm

butter in pan - eggs broken into butter - salt - yokes broken and eggs mixed as they solidify - done when soft and creamy with obvious differences between white and yolk - often add chives and parsley (or just chervil) at the beginning.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:50 pm

Put 6-8 eggs in a pyrex bowl, add milk, S & P and 1 Tbsp. of butter. Whisk them and cook uncovered in the microwave for 1 minute. They will cook from the outside inwards and the center will be uncooked. Whisk again and microwave for 30 seconds and whisk again, repeating as necessary. When there is only a little liquid left in the center, give them a final whisk and let sit for a minute or so.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:35 pm

Slow and soft. I don't usually add dairy at home because it just gets in the way of tasting the eggs. (Although we add a bit for our 2 year old son. And we cook his a shade longer than ours)
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:27 pm

Slow and soft here, too, with just enough stirring to loft it up into billows. I like to mix just a bit of water in to the eggs (no more than 1 tbsp per egg), and cook them in butter.
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:57 am

by Mike Bowlin » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:41 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote: As for how soft or hard to go, I usually check with whomever I'm serving to get a preference.

Bingo ! I have a couple that I cook for on a semi-regular basis. She likes dry cooked solid, he prefers wet soft finished scrambles so the cook has multiple pans operating at the same time to do the 'as ordered' deliveries.
Always butter - dry solid without much of anything, soft wet with some dairy, usually cream.
:D
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Ken Schechet

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:54 pm

West Palm Beach, Florida

by Ken Schechet » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:53 pm

I don't seem to have the time or patience anymore, but I used to use what is basically Jenise's method but in a double boiler. The eggs and the cream had to start at room temperature. They were whisked gently for a long time. Everyone should try this once.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:38 am

On that note, we drift: How about over easy? Likes you the yolk that runneth?
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:20 am

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:On that note, we drift: How about over easy? Likes you the yolk that runneth?

Me likes! Gotta have toast to mop it up with, of course.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

by Mike Bowlin » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:05 am

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:On that note, we drift: How about over easy? Likes you the yolk that runneth?

The method I have used for years is to start the gently cracked eggs in butter, sprits in a tablespoon of water, cover, lower heat and you will have a perfect sunny side up egg in short order. Steam power !! :D
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:27 am

Never. After nearly a lifetime of not eating eggs, they are tasting good as long as they're scrambled and well-set. This is nothing less than a miracle, considering the nature and length of my aversion. But I think I'd choose death over eating a runny egg. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:37 am

Nectar of the gods, it is! :mrgreen: Particularly if it runneth into hash browns or grits or an English muffin ...
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:53 am

Robin Garr wrote:

Nectar of the gods, it is! :mrgreen: Particularly if it runneth into hash browns or grits or an English muffin ...

Some nice wheat toast and an over easy egg...mmm
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:26 am

Of course. That is the whole point to fried eggs. In addition to the glorious marriage of salt and egg white.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:01 am

Sunny side up, cooked in bacon grease, spooning the grease over the yolk until the top just cooks and the bottom gets a bit crusty. Served with a good quality toasted Italian bread.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

by Fred Sipe » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:20 am

Aside from scrambled I've taken to breaking 2 eggs into one of those mini non-stick skillets with a little butter under low heat and let them cook slowly. Part way through when they look ready I simply put a lid on so they cook through. When I time it right they're at that stage between runny and solid.

I remember reading somewhere, maybe here, of cooking a fried egg in butter pretty much at the lowest possible temp that it would cook. For quite some time. I think there's something to it.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:51 am

Agreed on the use of salt (maybe a scratch of black pepper) and frizzled edges. Sunny side up, or basted, are also good as long as the yellow runs. A soft-boiled egg is a tremendous pleasure but so hard to get right.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:05 pm

Fred Sipe wrote:Aside from scrambled I've taken to breaking 2 eggs into one of those mini non-stick skillets with a little butter under low heat and let them cook slowly. Part way through when they look ready I simply put a lid on so they cook through. When I time it right they're at that stage between runny and solid.

I remember reading somewhere, maybe here, of cooking a fried egg in butter pretty much at the lowest possible temp that it would cook. For quite some time. I think there's something to it.

Bob likes his fried eggs over easy to ensure that the white is cooked through, so I take a similar slow approach and usually add just a little water to the pan so that I can baste the egg--it ends up halfway between fried and poached but with a permeated butter flavor yet using less butter than one would usually use for a pure fried egg.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:17 pm

We use two tablespoons of butter melted over low heat in an eight Scanpan skillet. Then beat four jumbo eggs in a bowl with a whisk and salt, pepper, and a little granulated onion. I cook the eggs in the butter very slowly and moved regularly with a spatula. Then slide the eggs, just like with that green stuff, onto our plates.
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

by Mike Bowlin » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:37 pm

Robin Garr wrote:

Grits ! Did someone say grits ? Yummmmm! :D
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

by Fred Sipe » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:18 pm

Jenise wrote:
Fred Sipe wrote:Aside from scrambled I've taken to breaking 2 eggs into one of those mini non-stick skillets with a little butter under low heat and let them cook slowly. Part way through when they look ready I simply put a lid on so they cook through. When I time it right they're at that stage between runny and solid.

Bob likes his fried eggs over easy to ensure that the white is cooked through, so I take a similar slow approach and usually add just a little water to the pan so that I can baste the egg--it ends up halfway between fried and poached but with a permeated butter flavor yet using less butter than one would usually use for a pure fried egg.

Froached, of course!
Next