Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Wine and Salt Dinner

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Wine and Salt Dinner

by Hoke » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:38 pm

Just put up an article describing a local restaurant's "Wine and Salt Dinner", where the Chef, the Somm, the bartender all get together with a local Oregon purveyor of gourmet sea salts (Jacobsen's Salt Company) to do a wine and salt pairing dinner (with salty cocktails as well).

So what do you think? The idea intrigues me quite a bit (since I've done some research and experimentation with the concept). Interesting, or would you avoid because of the ubiquity of salt?

http://www.examiner.com/article/wine-and-salt-dinner-at-wildwood-restaurant-march-22-2013?cid=db_articles
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: Wine and Salt Dinner

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:38 pm

I'd be game for trying that. The menu looks pretty good, and it's a good deal at that price.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:02 pm

My response too, Mike. I have the advantage of knowing that the Chef is top notch and puts out some really exciting foods. I'd go for the experimentation, expect to enjoy the event, and learn a few things. My intuition tells me even I, salt lover that I am, might be challened by ALL the salt during the evening, but used appropriately the gourmet salts could be just the right touch to highlight and show off flavors.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:46 am

I went to one of those about 5 years ago. It was held at the Herb Farm in Woodinville, WA, and was a joint effort with Salt Works, a local artisan salt distributor. I still have the salt sampler and 3-bowl serving tray given to attendees as gifts. The menu was amazing, with the exception of the lamb tartar w/raw quail egg for me! The dessert was a chocolate molten something or other with smoked sea salt. Fabulous! But then, I love salt. If you go, give us a report Hoke.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon