Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Pasta con le Sarde

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Pasta con le Sarde

by Howie Hart » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:22 pm

Tuesday night, I went to a St. Josephs Day dinner with my lady friend (she's Italian) at a friend's house. Last night on Chat, I was chatting about it, the special St. Josephs Day bread etc., and I mentioned how much I liked the Pasta con le Sarde and what was in it. One of the chatters, who had never heard of St. Josephs Day, that the thought of a pasta dish that contained sardines, raisins, pine nuts and tomatoes was making her gag. She suggested that I post about it here, because she couldn't believe someone would actually eat this. So here is a link to a recipe that seems similar to what we had on Tuesday:
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Sicilian-Style-Pasta-with-Sardines-106272
Does anyone else like this?
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

Re: Pasta con le Sarde

by Frank Deis » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:23 pm

Howie, I don't know the dish but from reading the recipe I am 100% sure I would like it.

Then again, I'm one of the converted, who went from "no anchovies" to a real enjoyment of anchovies...

There is a "green sauce" from Piemonte that is basically half parsley and half anchovies. Yum...
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:24 pm

I saw that recipe from Gourmet last weekend while I was helping Betsy "trim" the recipe files. Very good, we haven't done in ages.
We also liked this one, which we've done for a quick weekedn lunch a couple of times
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/31/dinin ... ref=dining
I love sardines as an occasional treat (I think I would tire if I ate more than once every month or two), even the pedestrian ones are good, but the better Spanish/Portugese ones seem to be several steps above the average Polish/Moroccan/Canadian.

Now fresh sardines, they could be on my table every 2 weeks.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:54 pm

I've seen some recipes for Pasta con le Sarde using fresh sardines and have been on the lookout for them for just that purpose. Unfortunately, they're difficult to find around here. I'll have to try the one you've linked to, Howie. It sounds good.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:12 pm

OK, Betsy pointed out I was wrong, it wasn't the Gourmet recipe we've done,but a similar one from NYT (besides the more recent one with capers)
http://www.nytimes.com/recipes/11696/Pa ... Sarde.html
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:10 pm

I have two or three copies of this recipe saved from different sources. It is my go to dish for late nights when I'm hungry and want something quick but satisfying. I have a similar one that uses tuna. I use a good quality canned tuna for this dish. Both are great and soul satisfying.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Drew Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Mon May 26, 2008 8:07 am

Bel Air, Maryland

by Drew Hall » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:31 pm

I'll be the lone bad guy here and say that I would eat the recipe using fresh sardines but would also gag using the canned version.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:02 am

A wonderful dish. I recall a little place near my old apartment that served it as a house specialty.

It's all of Sicily on one plate: http://www.weareneverfull.com/pasta-con-le-sarde-sicily-on-a-plate/
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:09 am

I don't know whether this helps -- but I have 3 or 4 Asian supermarkets nearby (Chinese and Korean) and that's a really good place to find fresh sardines. The selection of fish tends to be very good at Asian markets, try 'em if you have one locally.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:35 am

The recipe I posted uses canned sardines. Mario Batali's recipe calls for fresh. Pasta with Sardines
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:03 pm

Frank -

I've tried a couple of the local Asian markets, but the best I found was frozen/thawed sardines. They didn't look good enough for this.

Back in the day, Monterey (not far from here) was a big sardine processing town, so one would think that fresh ones would be around. Maybe I just haven't hit on the right store at the right time.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:57 am

by Mike Bowlin » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:25 am

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Frank -

I've tried a couple of the local Asian markets, but the best I found was frozen/thawed sardines. They didn't look good enough for this.

Back in the day, Monterey (not far from here) was a big sardine processing town, so one would think that fresh ones would be around. Maybe I just haven't hit on the right store at the right time.

The restaurants around the Monterey Plaza still have fresh sardines on the menu. Makes me hungry just thinking about it.
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:18 pm

Like the dish but not that stoked about the inclusion of raisins.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:33 am

This topic reminded me of a piece I saw on CBS' Sunday Morning just a few years ago about the closing of the last Sardine plant in the U.S. I couldn't find the video reportage, but did find a print article that's very informative.

http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-201_162-6394365.html
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:25 pm

Brings a tear to my eye.