The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Two Pinot's with wild rabbit

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

WTN: Two Pinot's with wild rabbit

by Jim Grow » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:33 pm

Over the last two days we have finished off a rabbit I shot in Feb. with two different Pinot Noir's. Yesterday was the Marimar Estate Dona Margarita 2006 Pinot Noir from Santa Lucia Highlands Ca. It was very nice in an understated way with some cranberry fruit and an element of what I would call a ferrous note and very resolved tannins. Well balanced, this wine could age for at least another 10 years and still be enjoyable. Tonight we had the rest of the rabbit with the 2007 Arcadian Sleepy Hollow Pinot Noir. I was pretty disappointed with this wine since I have 11 more bottles. It seemed rather simple with tart sour cherry flavors and no other complexity. The tannins did smooth out over the dinner somewhat but from what I have read here, I have either consumed this wine way too soon or I just do not "get" it. I will reserve judgement until another bottle is consumed 3-4 years down the road. I have put my remaining bottles in off-off-site storage so I will not be tempted to try another for a good while. The Failla Hirsch 2009 I commented on recently blew both of these wines away and I wish it was much less than the 50$ I paid.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

Re: WTN: Two Pinot's with wild rabbit

by James Dietz » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:18 am

I'm sorry, but I can't stop laughing. That first sentence is a gem!!

Actually, the thread title is a bit of a howler, as well.
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Re: WTN: Two Pinot's with wild rabbit

by JC (NC) » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:15 pm

I agree on the Failla Hirsch. Haven't had any Arcadian wines in a long time but was not as impressed with my last try as notes from other reviewers would lead one to expect.