Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Serbian Vegan Recipes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

Serbian Vegan Recipes

by Fred Sipe » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:56 pm

Huh? That's what I said too. My wife is all excited because she just got her first "personal chef" catering type gig. Long story but it's a Serbian family (he's a surgeon not that it matters) and they just had a new baby and the family is vegan.

So... looking for appropriate dishes/recipes. I figure if anyone can point me in the right direction some of you here can! Any help? Off to do the Google thing.

Thanks,
Fred
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: Serbian Vegan Recipes

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:54 pm

Wow - I have no help to offer whatsoever, Fred, but I will be interested in what you find.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:26 pm

Fred, I got no clue about that cuisine. I got no cookbook about that cuisine (closest I come is Hungary). But I do know how to use Da Interwebz:

1. The Wikipedia page on Serbian cuisine gives some history and a list of dishes:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serbian_cuisine

2. The website for expats has recipes and even a culinary dictionary:
http://www.expatserbia.com/enjoy-serbia/serbian-food-recipes

3. How about raiding the menu of a Serbian restaurant for ideas?:
http://www.kafananyc.com/menus.shtml

HTH.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:37 am

Because of an active refugee community, we have lots of Bosnian restaurants around here, and I've traveled (and judged wine) at the other end of the former Yugoslavia, Slovenia (with a little dip into Croatia).

Based on this experience, I'm afraid a vegan Bosnian feast is going to be tough. South Slav cuisine is basically about MEAT. Beef and lamb, and flatbread and maybe a salad. :mrgreen:

Check out this website, which is indigenous and probably more trustworthy than the crowd-sourced wiki. Unfortunately, it reinforces what I said above, with more details:

http://www.serbia.travel/about-serbia/t ... bian/food/

If your folks are okay with the idea of using plant-based meat analogues, this is a field where the technology is rapidly improving as the market expands with aging Boomers and curious hipsters. Beyond Meat and Gardein are particularly good brands of faux meat; Simple Truth (distributed by Kroger groceries in this region) and LightLife (a brand of agribusiness giant ConAgra) are more corporate, but they all make surprisingly good meat-free substitutes.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:43 am

I don't like About.com much - sometimes their "experts" aren't - but this page might be of interest, as it outlines what Orthodox Catholic Serbs eat during Lent, when meat AND dairy are against the rules, which sounds vegan, but note that they might include seafood and fish.

Still, if you don't want to go the fake-meat route, this page lists some Orthodox Lenten recipes from the region that might do the job for you:
http://easteuropeanfood.about.com/od/or ... ecipes.htm

I'd think long and hard about using LightLife ground "beef" to make some tasty ćevapčići (finger-size ground beef bites on flatbread), though.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:17 pm

Fred, as Robin says most Balkan cooking is heavy on the meat, but Serbians might have some appreciation for other cuisines, so I'd look to Mediterranean vegan dishes. Rice pilafs, stuffed grape leaves, tzaziki, burghul wheat, spanakopita, cabbage and bean soups, good bread, etc. She's probably going to have to talk to them about what they normally cook and eat, too.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:11 pm

When I think of Serbian food I think of that roasted red pepper accompaniment they seem to use with everything. But I guess that's not enough to be a meal!

However, as mentioned above, why not just ask them what they like to eat? Maybe they don't feel limited to 'Serbian' food at all.
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

by Fred Sipe » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:35 pm

Thank you all for your suggestions. My wife says they have been very helpful. I guess the family specifically requested Serbian style vegan dishes. So far she has decided to make:

Serbian Pogacha Bread with Roasted Eggplant & Red Peppers (Ajvar)
Spicy White Bean Soup (Pasulj)
Warm Potato Salad - (Serbian-Style)
Cabbage Rolls (18) Stuffed with Rice & Vegetables (Posna Sarma)
Vanilla Crepes (12) with Fresh Strawberries & Dairy-Free Chocolate Sauce (Palacinke)

I don't know much about any of it but I just read it for the first time and it made me hungry!

Thanks again.
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:17 pm

Ajvar!! I was trying to remember the name.

Today I 'burned' another eggplant according to the directions in "Plenty." I didn't even have a recipe in mind, I just wanted to season the smokey flesh and use it as a dip. Those eggplants are so good -- and "burned" red peppers are a beautiful match for them.