Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Wine dinner help

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Gary Bobier

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:29 am

Wine dinner help

by Gary Bobier » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:25 pm

As always I look for insight for my wine dinners. I can spend $170 on 6 bottles of wine. The menu is:

Fried Goat cheese with sun dried tomato marmalade. My thought is a Domaine Carneros Brut

Grilled Caesar My thought is a Dom Millet Sancerre

Raviolo with homemade ricotta stuffed with a runny egg yolk in a Brown sage butter My thought is a Winzer Krems Gruner Veltliner Ried Sandgrube

Grilled pork tenderloin with Chimichurri herb dressing rice and spinach I was thinking of a Jemrose Viognier Egret Pond and I need another one

Strawberry chocolate cheese cake I was thinking of a Rinaldi ReDream Malvasia Frizzante
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Wine dinner help

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:43 pm

I would do a little three-way shift:
-- put the Sancerre with the goat cheese (because the land of Sancerre is also the land of excellent goat cheese)
-- put the Gruner with the Caesar (because Gruner always picks up greens well)
-- put the champagne-ish fizz with the ravioli (because it should a yeasty-toasty wine might pick up the brown butter very well)

I love the idea of the frizzante for dessert, although I wonder whether its texture will be too light for the (presumably) dense cake?
no avatar
User

Gary Bobier

Rank

Ultra geek

by Gary Bobier » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:43 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:I would do a little three-way shift:
-- put the Sancerre with the goat cheese (because the land of Sancerre is also the land of excellent goat cheese)
-- put the champagne-ish fizz with the ravioli (because it should a yeasty-toasty wine might pick up the brown butter very well)

I love the idea of the frizzante for dessert, although I wonder whether its texture will be too light for the (presumably) dense cake?

You are correct on the goat cheese, raviolo, Caesar swap. It will be very interesting not to do the bubbly first.
I was thinking the same thing on the dessert. I could always use a Brachetto d'Acqui for a bit more body. What are your thoughts on the Pork??
no avatar
User

Gary Bobier

Rank

Ultra geek

by Gary Bobier » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:43 pm

You are correct on the goat cheese, raviolo, Caesar swap. It will be very interesting not to do the bubbly first.
I was thinking the same thing on the dessert. I could always use a Brachetto d'Acqui for a bit more body. What are your thoughts on the Pork??
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:52 pm

Gary Bobier wrote:What are your thoughts on the Pork??

I don't eat pork but if you're already doing a viognier with that course and are looking for another bottle, I really like the Domaine Triennes Viognier Sainte Fleur for $15-20 (which comes in your price range) and could add a French comparison to the New World viognier. Just an idea, you may not want more of that grape!
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:11 pm

Gary Bobier wrote:What are your thoughts on the Pork??

I did not have any immediate useful thoughts. To me, a strong herbal sauce with a vinegar base can make it very tough to match wine, especially with a relatively mild meat. I might try for a spicy, mid-weight red or, as you suggested, a strong white.

After doing some reading, it appears that many cooks suggest malbec for a dish of steak with chimichurri sauce. They are guessing that the local wine is the best match, and maybe it is.

Sorry I don't have any firmer opinion to offer.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:26 am

A nice mid-weight Zinfandel (Washington state?) would probably work nicely with your pork, Gary.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:39 am

Gary Bobier wrote:

I'm not familiar with the other dessert wine you mention, but the Brachetto d'Acqui would be outstanding with strawberry-chocolate-creamy cheese flavors. I've used it several times myself, and it's always a major crowd pleaser.

You didn't mention the theme of this meal: but is it white wine/spring or something? I note you've chosen all white wines.

Jeff--the malbec/chimichurri thing is just a lazy pairing of Argentine food and wine--it only makes perfect sense if you're in Argentina and malbec is what everyone drinks anyway. (Frankly, if I were going red I'd love cab franc with chimichurri.) If his goal is an all-white wine meal, then what he needs there is a fuller bodied wine that makes sense in the progression. Viognier or a Marsanne blend would be a good step up and away in that sense.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov