Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Pressure Cooker Brown Rice

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RCP: Pressure Cooker Brown Rice

by Jenise » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:33 am

Dinner with friends last night included a plain rice side dish that was the best brown rice I've ever eaten. And that's saying a lot, since I've never met brown rice I'd prefer to white; I make and eat brown rice ONLY because it's better for you. Sandy's rice was moist but not wet, and the kernels firm and separate but not sticky which is in part the pressure cooking and part the olive oil she adds to the cooking water. Salt (actually, a seasoned salt) was the only other ingredient for a balanced, infused flavor.

Her method: 2 cups water, 1 cup brown rice, dollop of olive oil, salt. Bring to a boil, install the lid. Bring up to pressure then reduce heat to med low for 11 minutes. Remove from heat and, as soon as possible, crack the lid to let excess steam escape, and serve. Total elapsed time: under 20 minutes.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: RCP: Pressure Cooker Brown Rice

by Carl Eppig » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:06 am

Can hardley believe that the rice was still moist. My experience with brown rice is that whether on stove top or in pressure cooker you need to more that 2 to 1 just to get the rice cooked.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:20 am

Carl, I sat there and watched it start to finish (and this was in the galley of a 40' sailboat, so I really mean I was RIGHT there), and can attest to Sandy's method and result. Awesome!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:11 am

Jenise wrote:Her method: 2 cups water, 1 cup brown rice, dollop of olive oil, salt. Bring to a boil, install the lid. Bring up to pressure then reduce heat to med low for 11 minutes. Remove from heat and, as soon as possible, crack the lid to let excess steam escape, and serve. Total elapsed time: under 20 minutes.

Jenise, just to be clear, when you say as soon as possible, you mean the let the pressure drop on its own (not releasing) , correct?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:36 pm

Dale, yes. I was just trying to caution against allowing too much carry-over cooking. I have a feeling that some fine-tuning may be required depending on your pressure cooker. That is, Sandy didn't run it under cold water to quick-cool it or anything like that, but her cooker (a pretty old one) allowed her to remove the lid in what struck me as less time than my new one would have. Definitely a great method--another example of cooking under pressure yielding a superior result to non-pressure cooking.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:57 pm

Similar to the directions I've used, but it calls for 15 minutes. http://missvickie.com/howto/grains/grainframe.html
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.