Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Ohio nachos?!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Ohio nachos?!

by Jenise » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:26 pm

In the latest issue of Saveur, their annual top 100 includes an entry for Ohio Nachos. A photograph shows a plate of kettle type chips which some Ohioan has festoonede with a garlicky alfredo sauce, Maytag blue cheese and chives and heated until gooey. "Pungent, salty, creamy and crisp, they're our latest guilty pleasure."

Dear god, I should hope so. Never tried it, but wow wouldn't that be spectacular with a bottle of champers?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: Ohio nachos?!

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:43 pm

We have a very popular local restaurant that has been serving warm kettle chips with good blue cheese and a sprinkle of chives or scallions for years. They take it off the menu now and then only to have the locals raise heck. It is always brought to the table with a bottle of Tabasco. They are also famous for a huge shrimp bowl they bring. A bowl filled with ice and large shrimp hanging all around the edge. Served with their own cocktail sauce and fresh lemons. When I go there with girlfriends we always order these two items. Makes for a wonderful lunch with white wine in the summer.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:19 pm

Well it sure sounds great. Nothing about that I wouldn't love--except the calories, of course. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:45 pm

That does sound tasty, but it has to be in the same caloric league as poutine.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:07 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:That does sound tasty, but it has to be in the same caloric league as poutine.

IOW, deadly. But oh woe, aren't so many of life's best things?
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:36 am

Jenise wrote:
IOW, deadly. But oh woe, aren't so many of life's best things?

Absolutely! One should never deny the experience of such things solely due to their caloric content. Life is way too short.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun May 05, 2013 5:50 pm

Making Ohio Nachos (for the first time) today. Am debating about whether to make that Alfredo sauce. Karen (where is she, anyway?) mentions enjoying it at a restaurant where it doesn't sound like a sauce is involved (which I think would be my preference, though a drizzle of demi-glace could send me into heaven). I might have to consider that.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sun May 05, 2013 7:24 pm

No sauce involved with the dish at this local restaurant. The chips stay crisp and warm with the melted(but still some chunks) blue cheese on top. I wonder if putting a sauce over, would break down the chips? At one time, they made their own chips, but now, with some great commercial kettle chips, I'm not sure they are still made in house.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon May 06, 2013 9:58 am

Karen/NoCA wrote:No sauce involved with the dish at this local restaurant. The chips stay crisp and warm with the melted(but still some chunks) blue cheese on top. I wonder if putting a sauce over, would break down the chips? At one time, they made their own chips, but now, with some great commercial kettle chips, I'm not sure they are still made in house.

Ah, there you are! Something as heavy as an Alfredo would have to bog things down, though certainly it would be tasty. I did the demi-glace, which had some effect but it's so intense that it didn't take much and the occasional soggy chip at the bottom (I probably helped that by leaving them in the oven for five minutes which pulled some of the fat out of the chips, where three or maybe even two would have been enough). Not that my guests noticed--they ate every scrap on the tray.