Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Kombucha!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Joy Lindholm

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:41 am

Denver, CO

Kombucha!

by Joy Lindholm » Thu May 30, 2013 9:06 pm

I'm having my first crack at brewing my own kombucha. So far things are going well - I am 8 days into fermentation and I'm going to let it go a couple more, as it is still a bit too sweet for my taste. Anyone else tried making kombucha at home? Any flavoring ingredients or recipes would be greatly appreciated! For my first batch, I'm going to bottle some plain, and do a mango one and black currant flavored one also. We'll see how it goes - wish me luck!
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: Kombucha!

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu May 30, 2013 10:22 pm

We have a friend who's been making kombucha. I thought her unflavored version, which had just a touch of sugar remaining, was quite good. My favorite, though, is kombucha with a good dose of ginger in it.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri May 31, 2013 2:11 am

I'm such a cocktail unsophisticate, and if I started studying real hard right now I'd still never catch up with Mike. So...what's kombucha? :oops:
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri May 31, 2013 8:01 am

Jenise wrote:I'm such a cocktail unsophisticate, and if I started studying real hard right now I'd still never catch up with Mike. So...what's kombucha? :oops:

'Cha' is the Japanese word for tea and kombucha is a fermented version of various teas with different bacteria and yeast. (Kombu is a type of seaweed although I understand there is no seaweed in the tea and that term may have been added for idiosyncratic historical reasons)
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Fri May 31, 2013 8:13 am

I don't make kombucha, but for the past 3-4 months I have been making my own ginger ale/beer. It is the same principle, but I created my starter by capturing the natural wild yeast around us starting with a cocktail of spring water, chopped ginger and sugar. Within a week I had a quality yeast starter, I now have not quite a quart of very active live culture that I have made a gallon of ginger ale from about 4 times. Great stuff!! Thinking about starting kombucha.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri May 31, 2013 9:03 am

Jenise wrote:I'm such a cocktail unsophisticate, and if I started studying real hard right now I'd still never catch up with Mike. So...what's kombucha? :oops:

"Just because Mike likes it means it must have alcohol in it" is a good rule of thumb for most drinks, but not this one. (OK, kombucha does have some alcohol in it, but not very much.)

:D
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:29 pm

There was an abandoned plastic container from somebody unknown in the shared work refrigerator that I finally cleaned out. The oval, fuzzy disc which remained from the food could have easily been a konbucha starter colony. :lol: :lol: :lol:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:43 pm

My best results have come with just plain or with and addition of ginger. I like it so I keep it that way.

But I have taken to making lacto fermented lemon/lime aid. So much easier and less floaties so the family likes to drink it.

Next is lacto fermented pickles.

Jason